Friday 10 October 2008

When her big toe hits the sand......

On the way home from our little jaunt yesterday I was recalling family trips to the very same spot. There were a couple of times when Mum sustained some kind of injury just before or on holidays. It's a common thing,holidays mean leaving familiar situations behind and with new situations come undreamed of hazards but I digress........
there would usually be a bit of consternation and Dad would say "As soon as her big toe hits the sand she'll be happy."
Now, I know that it was Mum's get-on-with-it attitude that got her through some of those times but I also know that Dad was right and yesterday I realised just how much I'm like Mum.

When we round a bend
or crest a hill
and the ocean is laid out before me,
sparkling ...

I am happy.

When I see my cherubs enjoying the sea,

scouring the shore for treasures

or playing in the waves....

I am happy

When I visit a seaside boutique and finger gorgeous fabrics

on beautiful clothes

with wonderful colours,

exquisite details

or a perfect cut....

I am happy.

When I look at the fabulous shapes of the branches overhead,

smell the bush,

feel the sun on my back....

I am happy.

12 comments:

  1. Kyles, I love this blog. I remember dad saying that about mum. The pictures bring back memories of walking up to the shop at the end of the beach to get icecreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i was telling the kids about that......remember skonas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi KYLIE,

    Looks like you had perfect weather for your seaside holiday. Your story brings back memories of our days at the beach at Black Rock, near Sandringham, Vic.
    When Helen was a little'un she liked nothing better the spending a day at the beach with her beloved Papa frolicking and swimming; investigating rock pools; losing her flip-flops in the under-tow; body surfing; etc. etc. They were great days. Sadly we don't get there as often as we would like these days. Thank you for this post which has rekindled some fond memories.
    Your photos are lovely.

    Have a beaut weekend!

    M xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss the beach. Sorry, I've not been around much, I'm sort of haveing a rough week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Special,

    That first photo is just amazing. I wanna go there!!

    It's great how going back to places reminds us of times past.

    Love you dearly, hon,

    Peej xxx

    and ps - Cece (honeybunch), you don't have to apologise for not being around, sweetie - we understand - just take your time, hon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, lovely, lovely. My dad grew up by the ocean, and I get that feeling of contentment too...wonder if it's some sort of thing that's in one's blood...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey mark,
    why dont you get to black rock these days?
    i always forget how wonderful the sea is until i get there but it's worth some effort.
    hope you're having a good weekend, too

    k
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. cece,
    no need for apologies. do something that soothes your soul and know that i'm with you in spirit
    God bless you
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. precious peej,
    it's not so far, the kombi should make it ......

    love ya
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi leah :)
    yeah, i reckon the love of the ocean is a little bit nature and a little bit nurture.
    the sea is so breathtaking that even if it's not a great love it has to be awe inspiring

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kylie,

    Great post! I wish I was walking on the beach, toes in the sand and waves rolling over my ankles. Sounds perfect!

    Best wishes,

    Skeeter

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that poem Kylie but i LOVE the photo of your girls so much more!!!!

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.