a friend of mine was recently telling me the story of how she was standing, looking at the front door and imagining it with a pretty tile hanging nearby. her son was amazed that she was just standing. why was she standing there? he wanted to know. she told him that she was trying to visualise this decorative tile. again, the question: why?i would like one beautiful thing, just one beautiful thing" she said.
the story made me a little sad. my friend has been a farmer for many years, working drought effected land with lots of heartbreak and not a lot of joy or lot of money. she is also a practical woman by nature, not given to needless frippery and functionality is top of her requirement list whatever she is dealing with so i see how it is that there aren't many beautiful things in her life but it got me to thinking about how to have beauty and still have functionality.
of course my idea of beauty isnt everyone's but i thought i would make a list of ways i might try to "upsize" in the beauty department, even if i spent my days driving a tractor
- exchange white t-shirts for colours
- buy clothes that have interest added through texture or a print
- dress up for trips to town
- get some inexpensive jewellery that you wont mind losing or breaking
- have a regular haircut, or use pretty ties
- wear nice undies, you gotta wear em so they might as well be nice
*pictured oxfam resin bracelet $8.95