Monday 20 November 2017

Never look a gift horse in the mouth



Last night my daughter Caitlin was dumpster diving and found a very large number of eggs. Some were broken but there were many, many good eggs she managed to salvage and while I think I am good at making the most of what is available, I think people here will get sick of eating eggs before I get sick of cooking them. We also had a handful of premium face creams which were retrieved from a dumpster some time ago, Caitlin's boyfriend had sent them here for me to offer on a Pay it Forward group so tonight I offered 5 x dozen eggs and 5 x men's face creams for local piffers to pick up. I didn't include photos of my offerings because i don't have a smart phone and couldn't be bothered with any other method of getting pictures. I wasn't offering dresses here, folks, just eggs and face creams. For free.
Soon, I had the group administrator pointing out that I wasn't following the guidelines. I explained my "misdemeanor" and she informed me that next time I should get my busy kids to take photos in advance of the time I wanted to post my items. In the middle of this revolting conversation a group member also called me out on the lack of photos. Did I mention I was offering free things?
I replied that no, I did not have photos and no, I could not provide them. Then I said that the first person to pick up, someone who had not asked for a photo, could have the remaining face creams. After that i turned off comments.


15 comments:

  1. You fixed the nit-picking! Nipped it in the bud. Really, how hard is it to imagine eggs or face cream. How silly. One time I brought home 21 dozen eggs and had seven dozen unbroken ones...good times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 21 dozen is a lot of eggs!
      Our dog is enjoying a broken egg every day

      Delete
  2. Sigh.
    And I hope your gifts did find a good home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we'll see how many people make the pick up!

      Delete
  3. After keeping 100s of hens I learnt very quickly always discard an egg you are not sure of

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice, John. These were shop damaged and went in the bin because who in retail wants to re-pack them all and would they even be allowed? but they are good

      Delete
  4. I'm so tired of people complaining I'm "not following the guidelines." A bit of flexibility would be welcome. There's a building society that's leading me a merry dance, insisting my severely disabled sister fills in an application form for something she has no wish to apply for. They won't budge a fucking inch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Financial institutions seem to be the bane of your life right now! I hope you can get it sorted on the next attempt

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I felt it was a winand any small victory is good to have.

      Delete
  6. kylie: 1
    guidelines and assorted persons too attached to them: 0

    There is not much common sense out there anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm old enough to remember the days of the classifieds where we would be prepared to buy anything at all without the benefit of photos and be prepared to pay fairly for it.

      Delete
  7. Geez sounds like the ridiculous guidelines on ebay. It amazes me that anyone manages to sell anything there nowadays. I was told that I had some photos that weren't good enough quality so they just wouldn't let me list the items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how did we ever survive before we could photograph everything?

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.