Wednesday 19 December 2018

world domination awaits

There are changes afoot in my workplace and so I will soon be responsible for maintaining the coffee machine. I will also be issued a corporate credit card and as usual I will set up the morning teas.
I think we can all agree that with the coffee and food in  my hands I have a great deal of power, coffee being the drug of the masses and all that.....

The weather here is hot, humid, stormy and generally quite tropical. I don't want to whinge but I'm really not a fan. On the good side, we are inching closer to breaking the drought and lawns all over the suburbs are lush. On any dry-ish evening the din of amorous cicadas is matched only by roaring  lawn mowers. And while I talk about the sounds of summer, this is insect utopia so the flies and mozzies are in full force buzzing and biting, testing fraying patience.

I will be away from home for a couple of long days this weekend. On Saturday I will pick up Miss London and we'll drive out to Bathurst, which is three hours away, for the fiftieth birthday of an old friend. I hope there are no traffic delays. Then home again and off down the coast to my sister's weekender for the family not-Christmas. With all of the to-ing and fro-ing I am a little concerned about Harry so have arranged for a local dog minder to pick him up for doggy day care. She came to meet him this morning and he was keen to jump on the couch with her. Once upon a time I would have regarded doggy day care as a complete extravagance but these day I just regard it as the price I pay for peace of mind. I would be distraught if he was injured or got heat stroke or ran away.......

I'm thinking that if I have time I'll make a ginger trifle for Christmas. The rest of the preparations are in Caitlin's super capable hands.

18 comments:

  1. Hot and humid? Bleah. That combination makes me more than usually sad, soggy and grumpy. As do 'squitoes who love my tender flesh.
    I studied in Bathurst and have fond memories of the area. I hope that you and Miss London have a wonderful time. And that you thoroughly enjoy you time at your sisters.
    Trifle? Swoon. It is a long time since I have had one, and a good one is a thing of joy and beauty.
    I can think of MUCH worse people to give power to than yourself. Very much worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The places where we study seem to be infused with a special nostalgia, don't they? I'll try to remember to get some photos

      Delete
  2. I can understand the doggy daycare. I hate leaving my dog and have been thinking about it myself.
    Have a wonderful Christmas, m'dear!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so long ago I scoffed at the idea but times change and I'd rather go without a few things myself than worry.

      I wish you a wonderful Christmas, as well!

      Ear scritches to your pooch!

      Delete
  3. Since our dogs become our furry children, the thought of paying for doggie day care is more necessity than luxury!
    Have a wonderful trip and visit! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anne! I expect I'll post again before Christmas but if not I send my greetings to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wise decision to put Harry into day care rather than worry about what might happen in your absence.

    It sounds like high standards of coffee quality prevail. I hope you're meeting the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The machine is fully automatic, I just have to clean it and buy the coffee. Of course, the best coffee is a matter for consideration!

      Delete
  6. It is an unusually cold December so far for us and I keep forgetting that it is hot days for you down under! Good idea to leave Harry under care. I do the same thing whenever the children or I can't be with Chutki.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems weird to hear about heat, rain, green grass and bugs! We ar looking at snow. No green grass for another five months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen snow once in my life so five months of it every year seems an awful lot!

      Delete
  8. Ginger trifle sounds to die. My background is sherry trifle but I think the addition of ginger would be the extra zing it might need.

    Sounds like you are going high up in the world.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever google trifle recipes or images, there is a whole world of extravagant trifles waiting to discover! such a long way from the modest sponge and jelly creations we remember

      Delete
  9. I am very happy with hot (except at bedtime) but definitely not with humid. I'm sure that Miss London will really appreciate your company and the 'holiday'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss London tells me she wants a trip out and told my mum she's making sure i take breaks....thats how she rolls :)

      Delete
  10. Today the coffee machine, tomorrow the world! I predict eventual revolution among the masses is you don't live up to their expectations.

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.