Wednesday 27 February 2019

Dancing in the rain?

Do you ever feel as if you are wading through mud? My week fortnight has been a bit that way.  I had a small car accident a couple of weeks ago, a belligerent old guy made a U turn in an odd spot, didn't see me and...well you know that horrible bang & crunch. He was immediately aggressive and nasty while I tried to be nice about it but I ended up telling him he did not deserve my hand shake over the incident.
He has gone on to call me liable and because I only have insurance for 3rd party damage, my insurance company is less than interested. I call both companies daily and get the same non helpful, insincere nice-speak.
The matter was urgent because the car was up for a road worthiness inspection and with a smashed headlight it was not going to pass. Ugh. The clock was ticking and I was getting nowhere.  I really can't manage without a car.
There was much fruitless tail chasing.

I have now paid for a "temporary" fix to the car, it is road worthy if not pretty and if insurance never pays it will be the long term answer to a total repair bill more than the car is worth.

I've been grumpy with the old guy and the insurers and the timing.

Amongst all of this I have had a  couple of emails reminding me that I need to book a dental check-up. It's not due until April and I have a bunch of large bills hanging over my head  so I wanted that cleared up before I made an appointment but I have not forgotten. Yesterday, I received a text message about booking a check-up. I was busy and working and it felt like harassment so I called, sweetly made the appointment and then I said "Can I just tell you that I appreciate being reminded to book but two emails and a text feels a bit like harassment?"
"It's an automated system, just ignore it" said the receptionist

sigh

I probably wouldn't have said anything on a better day but I still would have felt harassed and my goodwill would have receded a little and I bet I'm not the only one.

My ex (I can't get my head around calling him that) terminated my health insurance without giving me any notice so I am now in a race to get a new policy before I have to serve waiting periods ...and for that matter before I need to use the  insurance which supplements pretty much every health care appointment I make (including dentistry!)

I woke up today to a door mat reeking of Harry pee (at least he uses the mat) and went on to accidentally upset Miss London. For a moment there I thought I was in Cyclone London but a drive by the beach and a seafood lunch in her favourite cafe coaxed her out of it. It was a difficult morning.

The humidity has fallen to just below relentless and the kids are all back to their demanding study timetables so the help with household chores has largely dried up.

In good news, there was a dumpster diving excursion this week which yielded some Turkish bread and a large number of very nice hot cross buns. A cuppa and a buttery, toasted bun have the power to make everything a bit more tolerable, don't you think?



23 comments:

  1. Arrgh, yes, I have had these phases where everything piles up in a muddy heap. There is no joy in any of it but it has to be dealt with - and the pile keeps being added to. Yep, there is solace in bakery products - and in the knowledge that the phase will pass.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer solvable issues to the ones you just have to live with!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. zen is probably not the right term, tho? :)

      Delete
    2. No, it is perfectly alright to use it so in this context.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry you are going through a murky time right now. Like they said, it will pass and at least you have some baked goodies to lessen the blow. The only thing better would be chocolate goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear you are in one of those endlessly challenging phases of life when coming up for even tainted air is not an option. Was through one of those recently when the "why bother, it's all ratsh*t anyway phase set in.

    Yeah it does leave but on its own good time.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you use the word rats**t!! it's one of my favourites

      Delete
  5. Yes, I have had those times; I have even thought of them in the same terms - wading through mud. It is a hard and exhausting slog. I hope that making progress on all those things you mentioned will hasten your return to your usual equilibrium. And a pox on insurers who make things so hard for the very people who put a roof over their corporate heads.

    We get those reminders about car maintenance and they nearly drive me foolish. The vehicle my husband drives is electronically linked so that the dealer can see his oil usage, tire pressure, etc. It can be a good thing but the reminders to have an oil change start coming long before my husband wants to deal with it. He's not the one taking the phone calls, so he is insulated from the effects of his choices! lol I need to ask if we can have fewer reminders. I don't think your comment to the dental office was in any way inappropriate and I'm thinking I'll use that line myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you understand! If a client of mine said they felt harrassed I'd nearly die but it didnt seem to matter much to the receptionist

      Delete
  6. Sometimes everything flies all at once. I hope you get everything solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time :)

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, that does sound like a terrible fortnight, made worse by your ex's unhelpfulness over the health insurance. I hope things improve. I had some careless old guy reverse into my car some time ago and I was expecting a lot of damage but miraculously there was none. Still can't explain that.

    Two emails and a text may be an automated system, but why can't they re-programme it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could reprogram it but they'd rather annoy all the patients.

      You got lucky with your car, sometimes that happens

      Delete
  8. Okay I'll have another shot at a comment. I got sidetracked ever since I read this and the last comment I actually sent without copying it first and the wifi went down and I lost it. 'That sort' of day. Fortunately my week/fortnight hasn't been bad at all so I really feel for you. I hope things improve.

    On the subject of reminders I'm afraid that I do understand why they send them out because non-attendance at appointments is high. Our practice only accepts appointments made on the day for doctors (not for nurses) and even then people don't turn up. My NZ family had a dental practice and if an appointment is missed (as they often are) that is a dentist and a nurse not earning any money but, more to the point, unable to treat someone else who needed their care. The most common excuse? "I forgot." I'd be happy just to ignore the reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a lot of times when I thought I wrote a comment but it wasn't there later! I assume I just get distracted and forget to click publish!
      I know that keeping appointments running and on time is extremely challenging so I try to be really respectful and reliable with that but these were reminders to make an appointment. I might have handled it better on a different day but I have lost clients over smaller things so they could have pretended my complaint was noted.

      Delete
  9. I hope that things have improved a little for you by now. The old man was employing the tactic of attack being the best form of defence thus getting you on the back foot. As for the insurance company, if it's good enough to take your money then it's good enough to process the claim. Do they have an office with real people in it? Pack a lunch one nonworking day and front up in person.

    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are better, Alphie! The car is registered for another year, I'm less grumpy and I have had an enquiry from a woman who (without meeting me) believes I am the doula for her. I really enjoy birth work so it's a little bonus!
      I like your idea of a packed lunch!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no you certainly have been going through a rough patch. I'm really sorry about the car accident. But having just read your reply above I see things are looking up a bit! Good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The whole car thing is a drama because the guy is being so uncooperative but if I have a working car I can deal with the rest

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.