Friday 6 December 2019

Wedding eve

This might have been my 28th wedding anniversary but it will live in my memory as the night before Liam & Catherine's wedding.
The bridal party and close family are staying at the wedding venue, a Georgian inn, outside Sydney in Mittagong.
As we drove down here in the late afternoon there was thick smoke billowing from a fire not far away.
And as I changed for dinner I realised that my freshly washed top smelled strongly of smoke because it had been drying outside as ash fell over our house.

One of the bridesmaids has just today been evacuated  as fire claimed part of her family property not far away and there are still fears for the horse who couldnt be persuaded into a float.
Her continued attendance here at a time of such loss is remarkable.
One couple of guests is not able to come because of road closure.v

For the first time in his life Harry is  sleeping on crisp white hotel linen, snuggling up to me for comfort. He is enjoying this place full of friends but it overwhelms him.

We are safe here and all will be well but what a story this will be in years to come.


16 comments:

  1. I am sure your husband regrets his decision. That is all so scary with the fire. Yes, it will be a story to tell in years to come. No one will probably know where the smoke smell is coming from since there is so much smoke from the fire. Harry will probably now expect crisp white sheets changed every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't worried about the smoke smell but it was incongruous!

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are safe. Very glad. Definitely a story to tell, and retell.
    I do hope that the fire claims no more of the bridesmaid's home (and definitely hope the horse is safe). Not surprised Harry is a bit overwhelmed, and glad that he has you.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it turned out, the report the next day said the property was untouched. I still think it was outstanding of the bridesmaid to stay at the wedding.

      Delete
  3. I'm following the progress of the bush fires closely. Apparently the one near Sydney is out of control. All very worrying. I hope the wedding went well. I'm not sure I'd make it to a wedding if I'd just been evacuated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just been watching the smoke and fires in Sydney itself and have been really surprised and horrified. I do hope that you stay safe. Kia kaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were safe and we escaped the Sydney smoke. It was nice to breathe clean air

      Delete
  5. It seems that many weddings have a special story. Best wishes to the couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big event like a wedding allows us to tie other events to it in the memory

      Delete
  6. One thing about your clothes having a smoky smell is that I doubt anyone will notice for the same smell on their own garb.

    Be safe, be well and don't look back beyond a glance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, lovely to have you back!

      I'm not looking back, not much anyway.

      Delete
  7. The end of one innings and the beginning of another in real life. December 6, in India is a special day too. You can google for it if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about the destruction of Babri Masjid. Why anyone would destroy a 16th century treasure of any description is beyond me

      Delete
  8. By now the festivities will be over - I hope you all had a memorable time for good reasons as well as the danger of fire. I'm glad you are safe. And I love the mental picture of Harry enjoying the crisp white linens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are a couple of days post wedding. I'm back at work, the tiredness is lifting and Harry is back to his grungy bed. I'll do a photo post in the next few days

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.