Wednesday 2 December 2020

A day in my life

 The national broadcaster was calling for submissions from people with disabilities of all kinds. Our voices were to be featured on International Day of People With Disability, December 3.

Well I sent them a pitch but they didn't pick me so I'm posting here instead. Today, lets celebrate the resilience, flexibility, grit and creative thinking of people with every kind of disability.


 

I wake to the dog standing over me, barking and doing the pee dance. At this point I have to make a quick calculation: to go barefoot and let him out or to put on my shoes and ankle braces. The walking is easier and safer with shoes on but how long can he wait? and is my patience at a level that will handle a puddle in the lounge room? Sometimes I resent having to weigh these things and wish shoes and braces were not such an integral part of my mobility.

After showering I perch on the edge of my bed to dry and dress. Must I sit or is it a habit I developed after some injury? I’m not sure anymore. With my feet forever enclosed, tinea is a hazard so I take particular care to dry between my toes. I peer at the pressure ulcer on my foot, a complication of my condition. Is it bigger? smaller? Is that the redness of infection? Is it weeping or bleeding? It has been there, growing and shrinking, for a couple of years now while my care providers try different strategies to try to get it to heal. We make some adjustment to a shoe or orthotic and wait to see what happens. It’s slow and emotionally laborious. In my worst moments I imagine the day that amputation becomes my only option but for now I do what I can to stay off my feet, visit the podiatrist every week, watch it obsessively and come to the realisation that I must become the only expert I trust completely.

This morning, I am alone in the house so I can’t ask for a steadying arm down the front steps. I’ll need to take the route across the back yard, painstakingly looking for small irregularities in the level of the soil, trying to avoid every little bump or divot that could cause that could cause me to stumble, things that most people wouldn’t even notice. I can usually remember where the hazards are which is a good thing if the grass is getting long and I can’t see them. The short walk feels long and treacherous, heaven help me if I forget anything.

I need to buy milk for work and start to calculate the best place to get it. The supermarket near work has a large carpark out the front but there are a few steps to negotiate, the service station near work has replaced steps with a very short and very steep ramp which could actually be more difficult to negotiate than steps. If I think about it early enough in my trip, I can stop at a larger petrol station where the access is almost flat and the doors open automatically. I might even be able to leave my walking stick in the car.

This particular workplace has parking a short, easy walk away and a flat entrance. I spend a lot of the day at a desk and the biggest challenge is usually when I get involved in a standing conversation. It doesn’t take long to get tired and need a sit down but I’m loath to walk away.

If I’m not at some kind of appointment after work, I might do some shopping or go out for coffee. Again, I must think about how to do these things: if I do a big shop will someone be home to help me get everything inside? If I go out for a meal or a coffee, where will I park? How much walking will I do? Are there trip hazards? Is it raining or dark? Do I need to navigate stairs? Do I need to carry anything? I usually have a walking stick in one hand and sometimes use the other hand to steady myself. It means there are no hands left for bags, hand holding or gifts and my balance isn’t good enough to walk with an umbrella so I like to consider all of this before I find myself in a situation I can’t handle.

Most days I cook and eat at home.  I used to enjoy cooking but these days my feet hurt more the longer I stand so I just want to cook the fastest thing, tidy up and sit down.

I spend the evening sitting down: studying, reading or watching TV. My shoes are on the floor next to me and I hope that the hound is settled. Shoes, braces and hoisting myself from the couch is complicated. I don’t want to open the door ten times a night for a dog who wants to bark at a bat.

The hound watches, alert as I prepare for bed but when I take off my shoes, he understands that it is really time to relax and his contented groans speak for us both as we sink into our beds, relaxed at last.

22 comments:

  1. I had no inkling. Blogging conceals all disabilities except poor spelling and bad grammar, and you are free of those particular afflictions.

    When I was young and stupid, I heard myself tell someone that I wouldn’t mind being paraplegic if I still had the use of my mind. Nowadays I am far less cavalier in my attitude. Physical disabilities are nothing to sneeze at (American for dismiss lightly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother is the queen of proverbs and saying so I have heard "nothing to sneeze at" my entire life :)
      People think they could be happy if they could keep one particular function and none other, or they think life wouldn't be worth living if they lost one. Both points of view oversimplify.
      Didnt someone talk about that in a holy book?

      Delete
  2. I hear you. And share some of these issues. I am very careful walking at the moment. Frustratingly slow for anyone walking with me.
    I am really, really looking forward to the stories which the ABC has accepted, and to hearing those dismissed and too often ignored voices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, yes! I never fail to call out anyone who posts one of those facebook memes (which you probably haven't seen) about slow walkers. We walk at the pace we can and it annoys us probably more than the poor souls who have to follow behind

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this Kylie. It is very difficult to appreciate what others are dealing with. May God bless you today and every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to give a picture of the mental effort it takes to have a physical disability.
      She does bless me!! every day

      Delete
    2. Haha 'she' - brilliant. I think you gave a really good picture Kylie. Even those of us without a 'disability' have been injured or ill and experienced how exhausting it can be, but the difference is there is an 'end' to it.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea Kylie and this is a very well written piece covering the minutiae of your day. Recently mine is like that too, constant calculation of distance, exhaustion levels, weather, hazards, parking.

    One has to live it to understand it.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've realised that aging is a process of loss and none of us escape it. It's just been quite early for me

      Delete
  5. An insight into dealing with your daily life Kylie. The mental planning accompanying your physical progress through the day must be equally tiring.
    You have laid out your day in such a matter of fact way. A reminder that life isn't easy for many people who are dealing with their disabilities from the start to the end of each day.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most things become routine and when they do there is less thinking necessary but I was trying to convey the idea that things others just do have to be calculated when there is a disability

      Delete
  6. Kylie,
    I, too, must think about where I am going and how much mental stress will be caused by physical distress, steps, ramps (the worst), distance. Plus, I am sure you have to calculate how much of you will be left for the next thing you need to do. Dinner depends on what is fast, too. Of course, I can ask Tommy to come in and help me. Then, I have the shoulders and hands problems, too. However, your situation is a lot more serious than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound more tired than I am, which is understandable given that you are older and have suffered more hardships.
      I wrote this in mind of an audience who have no physical illnesses to work around

      Delete
  7. After watching my parents grow increasingly limited in what they could do I began to really appreciate being able to walk. I walk over 3 miles every day and I appreciate every step. One day I might not be able to do it. Actually I appreciate every faculty that I still have!
    Thank you for sharing this description - I had an idea of your struggles, which again made me appreciate what I still can do.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! When people complain about walking I think they should try not walking ☺️

      Delete
  8. I appreciate your posting this here and opening yourself up to your readers. I for one did not realise that you had a problem. Now that I know, I confess that my respect for you has gone up a couple of notches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you know, I love to walk miles in the countryside. The ability to do that is something that I pretty much take for granted. Your account of your ever-present mobility issues - including small practical details - reminds me that the ability to move around with ease is a gift worth cherishing. Thank you Kylie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have been able to do a country walk 20 years ago. I miss the freedom to go places and see things....

      Delete
  10. I paid $30 for someone to push me in a wheelchair into a doctor's office and back out again! I resent the doctor's office not doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been a small thing for an able bodied person to help out

      Delete
  11. I was aware of the problems with your feet, but I didn't appreciate the huge amount of planning and calculation that goes into everything you do. Those of us who take walking for granted forget how lucky we are compared to those for whom walking is a permanent problem.

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.