Monday 28 June 2021

Stay at Home Orders

 I was due for a haircut the week before my surgery but I was so busy trying to put things in order at work that I didn't get it and since then my hair has reached (surpassed) the annoying stage. It also feels a bit yuck, which I think must be a symptom of not being well rinsed in a month of bucket washes. I was starting to think I was mobile enough that maybe I could get someone to take me to a hairdresser for a shampoo and cut but the covid situation in Sydney went from manageable to impending disaster over about 24 hours and we were given stay at home orders effective for the next two weeks, possibly more. I guess the hair has to wait :)

My son-in-law has been working in regional NSW, he came back to Sydney a week ago for a break between jobs and was due to return last night. His situation has turned into a mess. "Essential" work that can't be done from home is allowed to continue so under the restrictions he is allowed to return to the country town he was working in but regional people are justifiably refusing service and accommodation to anyone who has been in Sydney. His employer just says he needs to go and get the job done. I wonder how many people are trapped like he is. Covid restrictions can't cover every personal circumstance so sometimes people need to think about the spirit of the law but that aint happening.

It's cold and grey today, Keaghan is working from home and the dogs are snoozing contentedly in their favoured spots (spots which change as the day progresses) Briony will bring home a walker for me this afternoon, which will give me some more freedom of movement.





I'm now allowed to weight bear but trying to walk in two moon boots is dangerous so the walker will help me to stay steady as I take a few steps. After a month of not being able to stand I have to say that being able to pull a pair of pants up to their proper and comfortable position is a small joy I would never have anticipated!

20 comments:

  1. Your poor son-in-law - and sadly no doubt others.
    Love the comfortable dogs and a big HOORAY for a little weight bearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little mobility makes a huge difference!

      Delete
  2. Couldn't Briony watch a few YouTube videos on hairdressing before giving you a haircut? Sorry to hear that optimum mobility is still a long way off. Keep your chin up as you usually do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the first person to suggest a home haircut but now I've finally found a decent hairdresser, she's the only one to touch it!

      Delete
  3. What kind of work does sil do? I wash my hair in the sink all the time and manage to get all the soap out. I still have not gotten mine cut either! It is sad looking. I am glad your m0bility is improving. Stay well. Stay in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sil is in construction, the current project is installing air con in schools.
      I should wash my hair in the sink! I've done it in the past but didn't think this time. I also thought it was nice and then suddenly it wasn't 😊

      Delete
  4. I hope the situation improves soon for both of you. Lovely dogs!
    Good to have come across your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome!
      I'm ok really, there are worse things than grotty hair :)

      Delete
  5. I went six months without a haircut last year, as neither Jenny or I was confident about cutting our own hair while the hairdressers were closed. I hope you manage to get your haircut soon.

    Lots of builders and construction workers here seem to ignore the covid restrictions. Quite often no mask wearing, no distancing, they just carry on as normal. And I haven't heard of anyone being refused service or accommodation. Laxity in all directions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Builders here are considered essential and therefore have some freedoms others don't. I dont believe they are breaking rules. As for refusing service, that's not a requirement, it's regional fear of city folks

      Delete
  6. I didn't go to the hairdressers for over a year - hair thinning scissors became my friend, and then my enemy! My hairdresser had to cut an awful lot of my hair off to make things right when I finally did get an appointment.
    Stay safe, Kylie.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinning scissors, eh? I think they could be a good solution.....until they are not!

      Delete
  7. surprising to hear that you have another covid lock down which is causing more problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to the rest of the world we've had very little in the way of lockdown and very few infections so there's a lot of complacency, leading to a low vaccination rate. Suddenly the delta variant has arrived and is spreading like wildfire and it's panic stations all over.

      Delete
  8. We too are back to a severe lockdown again and I have had to postpone a visit to my pedicurist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bit disappointing, I like to have my feet freshened up. Hopefully it will be a short lockdown

      Delete
  9. I hope you can get your hair done soon, but even more I hope your healing is quicker than anticipated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I'm going real well so far

      Delete
  10. I feel for you guys in lockdown. The management of COVID has been a mixture of good to ridiculous. I get really annoyed with epidemiologists and pollies sternly telling people that they simply must 'stay home'. As a casual myself - 5 years of it - I can't afford to stay home. There is so little compassion for those who don't have savings, and who can't stay home because their work situation is tenuous. It just demonstrates how privileged these advisors are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you wrote this, Michelle, the people of south western Sydney have been blasted by the pollies for the rapid spread of covid in that area. Extra police patrols were sent there etc. There was little thought given to the fact that a disproportionate number of our essential workers and casuals live in that region.

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.