Thursday 26 May 2022

Benched




 An intimate performance that ruminates on athleticism within a disabled body

“I don’t think of myself as a sporty person. I didn’t think I’d be disabled by my early twenties.” - Jamila Main

Six invited guests enter the space one by one. They choose a ball, shoe, or frisbee and take a seat. A story is told. 

Jamila Main invites you to join them for an intimate moment of rumination on athleticism within a body whose access needs subvert the assumed binary of disability. Audiences will watch the story shift before their eyes as special guests join Jamila Main on the bench throughout the season. 

Benched continues Jamila’s work with autobiographical storytelling and sees Jamila wielding their privilege as a palatable disabled person to put frank, nuanced portrayals of disabled bodies into public view. Jamila’s work asks able bodied spectators to reconsider their assumptions of sick and disabled people, and to confront their own temporarily abled body. Jamila joyfully presents theatre for disabled and chronically ill people, an opportunity to commiserate and celebrate disability together.


This advertisement caught my eye and so, I bought tickets, drove across Sydney in peak hour and took my seat in the Eternity Playhouse which was once the Darlinghurst Baptist Tabernacle. I'm sure the tabernacle was once a sight to behold but most of the historic detail in the building was not visible indoors.

The repair/ renovation and re-purposing of the building had been done in a refined industrial style and allowed glimpses of the older decorated ceilings and stained glass windows.

When we entered the theatre, Jamila was already on the bench.

There were stories about a young woman who enjoyed a number of sports and was good at them before arthritis and endometriosis caused chronic pain and disability.

I'm not sure what I expected from this show. The stories were interesting but each one closed with a monologue. It was a good monologue talking about the loss of an expected future, loss of an active youth, pain, the mental journey from "able" to "disabled" and joy in disability. 

What I didn't like was hearing the monologue six times.

I think there was value in the repetition but not enough value to do it six times. Or maybe it was over kill for me because I already understand the message.

I used a Dine and Discover* voucher to get discounted tickets and it was worth what I paid but i didn't think it wouldn't have been worth full price.

It was a pleasant enough night out and there is always something to gain from any attempt to educate the general public around disability. I wonder if the wine quaffing women who couldn't get out of the way of a wheelchair in a tight space learnt anything?


*Dine and Discover is a government project to get people out and about after lockdowns 

12 comments:

  1. Interesting. I suspect that like you I would have tired of the monologue before the sixth repetition - and hope that the wine quaffers did learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show has great reviews so maybe I'm being grinchy. Or maybe I'm not giving it a pity vote

      Delete
  2. It sounds like it would have been a nice event to see, but the repetition of similar monologues would have been a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was the monologue the exact same each time? if so, I wonder why it was done like that. Always respect the audience comes to mind and this doesn't sound respectful. Teetering on yawning.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. Anne, It became tiring.

      Delete
    3. WWW,
      The monologues were exactly the same. I thought it was one dimensional and i get angry about the idea of "celebrating disability". I celebrate life and joy in the midst of hardship but I won't pretend that a genuine problem is something to celebrate

      Delete
  3. As you say, anything that educates the general public about disability is worthwhile, because it's easy for able bodied people like myself to be misinformed and dismissive. I hope I'm a bit more informed than most because of my sister's disability.

    How are you coping with Sydney's Big Wet? It sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick,
      The constant rain in February/ March was very draining and I think every Sydney house became plagued with mould. It was hard but we started getting some dry days and though we still have unusually high rainfall, there are sunny days so it's a lot more manageable.
      I'm sure NI gets a lot more rain than we did

      Delete
    2. Yes, we probably get more rain here but mould isn't a common problem. Perhaps Sydney's houses are built for dry weather and don't allow for so much rain?

      Delete
    3. Erm... mould is a common problem! Hence sales of dehumidifiers etc. Soz. You've just been lucky, Nick!
      Sx

      Delete
  4. I wonder if the wine quaffing women who couldn't get out of the way of a wheelchair in a tight space learnt anything?
    Maybe she needed to hear the monologue for a seventh time?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can they have a private sitting for that, then?

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.