Friday 3 June 2022

The deadline for me to finish my chaplaincy studies is drawing close, I may not finish by the end of June but I will be very, very close and my trainer has told me that she will advocate for an extension because I am engaged and achieving.

The course requires me to facilitate a ceremony (dedication/ wedding/ funeral) and I haven't had opportunity to do that so a mock funeral, captured on video and sent to my trainer was going to be the way to get around it and then there was a call from my local minister "I have a funeral to do, would you like to assist?"

Now, the only part of a funeral that I really have to participate in for the sake of the course is the committal but somehow, my minister Ben, has extended my role in the funeral at each conversation we have. He will preach a very short sermon but the rest is my gig. So, right now I'm writing a blog post instead of writing a funeral plan. I'm a terrible procrastinator. :)

On Wednesday, I met the niece of the deceased, Mish. She talked about her aunt Noeleen's life, her love of craft, line dancing and community. She talked about the independence she showed and the way she grabbed life with two hands. She talked about her interest in family even when she was hospitalised and isolated due to covid.

The funeral is on Monday morning, at a crematorium I have visited over the years. I'll write out every word and I might not use the script but it will be there to help when nerves threaten to derail things.

Well, Noeleen, your earthly farewell will be officiated by a complete rookie, what would you think of that? I'm sorry I didn't get to have a chat with you before you took off but I'll do my best to give you a warm farewell

28 comments:

  1. I wonder if with a name like Noeleen she might have had a little bit of Irish in her. Good luck with your task….I’m sure you’ll do right by Noeleen and her family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the niece certainly has a lovely creamy Irish complexion

      Delete
  2. I think you will rock it Kylie. From what little I know of you, chaplaincy sounds like the perfect job for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I need to remember to speak slowly. If I get that right, it should be ok

      Delete
  3. Wonderful news. I am sure that you will do Noeleen and her family proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have confidence that your warmth and sincerity will stand you in good stead. Good luck. Oh, is the minister sharing the pay for a funeral with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Salvation Army don't charge for funerals and if the family makes a donation it will be used by the church. so no, no pay for the student :)

      Delete
  5. I think Noreen is lucky to have you as one of the officiants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Kylie. Noeleen is an Irish game, giving to a girl child in the Christmas spirit if she was born in December. I have a cousin Noeleen - it literally means "Little Christmas" - which is the name of Women's Christmas which is another long story.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me of a family I knew who had a Holly and Natalie beause both girls were born at Christmas.

      Delete
  7. Like everyone else here has said, I'm sure you will do a great job -- you have a warm and generous nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck next Wednesday Kylie! I have every confidence that you will do Noeleen proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Yorkie. I will need to capture all my public speaking potential

      Delete
  9. Ramana Rajgopaul9:34 pm, June 04, 2022

    My best wishes that all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramana! I think it will be ok if I'm prepared

      Delete
  10. I can't imagine preaching a funeral of anyone, much less someone I didn't know, but I am confident that you can pull it off because your heart will guide you. Quite often in the church I grew up in, altar calls were made at funerals, the rationale being that funerals were the only time that a lot of people went to church, so it was necessary to go all out to save them while they were there, and that if no such effort was made, the preacher would be called to account on judgment day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i thought you were going to say something along the lines of funerals being a good setting to start people thinking about their afterlife. Funny how it's all about the preachers' afterlives :)
      It was vastly easier to speak at the funeral of a stranger than the eulogies I have done for people I knew. Easier but probably less relevant.

      Delete
  11. Good luck with the funeral and with finishing your chaplaincy studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I'll get there in the end :)

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness! I hope it went well - Noeleen would be up for your bravery - she knows that everyone has got to start somewhere.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms Scarlet. One of her friends is in my congregation and told me everyone thought it was a great funeral

      Delete
  13. I bet that wasn't easy, I hope it went really well. It's really Noeleen's family and friends that you need to impress, and I'm sure you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hardest part for me is trying to get up and down from a chair with enough dignity!

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.