Sunday 9 October 2022

Hunter Wetlands

 A couple of weeks back I decided to use my long weekend created by the Queen's memorial day to stay with a friend who lives a little north of Sydney. 

It was a lovely time: my friend waited on me, we drank coffee and ate chocolate and watched TV. It was nice to switch off.

On the Saturday we drove an hour up the motorway to Hunter Wetlands, a privately owned, man made wetland area which adjoins natural wetland. (In truth it was probably wetland then reclaimed land then returned to it's original state)

The wetland is in one of our big mining areas and seems to be well funded by coal and mining companies trying to earn some environment points.

The day we were there was extra special because they were celebrating "Wetlands Wrapped" so there was a lot of pretty yarn bombing to see.







The wetlands have made a huge effort to be accessible and offer golf buggy tours to people who don't walk well. The buggy driver was a regular volunteer, able to name many of the plants on site as well as the birds and talk about the history of the site. He was enthusiastic and 90 minutes flew by as he drove us all around, even to areas the public doesnt usually have access to.















We finished up with a little mooch around the little gallery in the visitor centre and lunch in the very  accessible cafe. I noticed quite a few wheelchair users and at least one young volunteer who seemed to have a learning disability. I think that when people with disabililties find a place which is genuinely accesssible and welcoming, they treat it as an oasis. 


In other news, lovely old Millie has settled well enough to even share her bed with the annoying youngster on occasions. A big change from the growly and uncertain dog who I brought home. 
She has slipped and spread eagled on the hard floors several times in the last couple of weeks so I have bought a second hand rug to provide extra coverage and there is a yoga mat at the back door. She slipped again after I put the new rug down so the problem is not solved but I think she is happy to have some extra area of safe walking and we will keep working on it. I've also found that she eats more if she is fed on her bed or stands on the rug. Last night I commented that I'm running a canine nursing home and Keaghan said "well you went and got a senior dog" as he moved her food bowl closer. 



15 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you got this time away - and in such a beautiful place too. We have a friend who lives in the Hunter and have never heard of it. Perhaps next trip.
    You are so right about the oasis got pwd.
    And how lovely that Millie is settling. Senior dogs (and people) deserve their very own oasis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, even on a drizzly day.

      Delete
  2. Annie Proulx has written a book about how the destruction of wetlands threatens the planet and how they urgently need to be reclaimed. So it's good news about the Hunter Wetlands. And good that Millie is settling down and gaining in confidence. Interesting that she eats more on the bed or the rug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wetlands are so very important but they have been seen as some kind of wasteland.
      If Millie isn't wasting energy trying to stay upright, she can eat more.

      Delete
  3. I have never seen yarn bombing except in photos. That is fancy crocheting and very pretty. It seems we focus on drying up the wetlands for our use and getting water to the dryest spots for our use. We need to work with what we find.

    Having a firm and steady footing is important for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen yarn bombing in person before. There was a good deal of skill involved in many pieces.
      Working with what we find would be sensible!

      Delete
  4. Although rather tacky (no offense meant ) the publicity should be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The groups who supplied the yarn art would surely have wanted to see it in-situ so that's a good few visitors.
      The hides and bush food garden might have been more up your street, Red. I saw a good few bird species

      Delete
  5. So happy to hear about wetland regeneration, sorely needed in this planet crisis. Love the yarn bombing, I would be throwing my own stuff up there. :D And Millie is deserving of every kindness given to her.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wetland is quite small so it doesn't count too much for regeneration but every bit counts and they are participating in some important research as well.
      I am determined to give Millie the best life I can

      Delete
  6. I feel like I live in the wetlands, even though we have a hosepipe ban here. Lovely to see a successful regeneration project knitted with some yarn bombing!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me - Scarlet! For some reason Google won't let me sign in.
      Sx

      Delete
    2. Google has no idea who the good people are!

      Delete
  7. Being driven around in a golf buggy sounds like fun. Geez I'm getting old. It looks like you had a lovely time with your friend. Love the photo of you with your friendly buggy driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. I was very happy to be able to move around the site better than i could on my own

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.