Earlier this year I started to eat the same breakfast every day. Greek yogurt with berry and chia compote. It's easy to organise, high protein, high fibre and I like it. This was a deliberate strategy to get the day started with a good choice and it was going really well.
Then winter came and I really want to have a hot breakfast but it's not possible to pull a hot breaky out of the fridge in the morning.
Instead I have been eating:
leftover daal 6/10
porridge with berry compote 4/10
porridge with peanut butter and brown sugar 7/10
barley cooked in pear juice and cardamom pods topped with a small dot large spoon of cream 9/10
cheese on toast 8/10
Some of these do better at hitting the nutrritional goals than others and none are as good as the yogurt and compote. I am doing badly at fibre and protein but well at whole foods. i will keep trying and it will soon be warmer weather and I will go back to yogurt with fruit.
I really encourage you to try barley cooked in juice. It's quite delicious.
I have never thought of barley as a breakfast food. I have no idea why I havent.
ReplyDeleteWe have a very wheat centred food culture so barley is rarely considered. I really like it and have looked for new ways to use it
DeleteI like rolled barley and sometimes add it to rolled oats I have soaking overnight ready to cook in the morning
DeleteI have been eating porridge for breakfast all my life, apart from a brief foray into Weetbix. Currently I am using Uncle Toby's microwave packets, but sometimes I still soak proper oats over night in a milk/water mix then cook the next morning. To the soaking ones I add finely chopped dried fruits, apricots and dates most often, the dates are super sweet so no extra sugar is needed.
ReplyDeleteThe Uncle Tobys sachets are handy but not great porridge. I also have a love of overnight oats, have you done that?
DeleteYes, the soaking and the longer slower cooking, but I prefer quicker methods.
DeleteI vary mine from the healthy to the indulgent (low salt bacon and eggs on toast) but do have small yogurt and fruit alongside.
ReplyDeleteNever thought of barley for brekkie though. I do love barley.
XO
WWW
Variety is always good!
DeleteThat could be both a paradox or an oxymoron.
DeleteNot a big breakfast person myself so all your choices are pretty impressive to me.
I've never had a breakfast like this. It sounds terrific. Chia Compote : the name alone, delicious.
ReplyDeleteBarley cooked in Pear Juice & Cardamom Pods, with Fresh Cream ! I'd like the Poached Pear as well.
As a Scotchman I hail from the land of Porridge but never got into the habit of it, in all my 75 years.
I still have the same waist as I did at 20 but I eat too many biscuits and I have trifle nearly every night.
I can never say no to baked goods and trifle every night is a dream! I am much bigger than I was at 20 so I try (and mostly fail) to use some restraint
DeleteI like a boiled egg and a slice of wholemeal bread - it keeps me going until lunchtime, or plain yoghurt and granola or muesli. Something is better than nothing!
ReplyDeleteSx
Something is much better than nothing!
DeleteGetting out of bed in the morning since retirement has been a struggle. So the first espresso of the day is at noon, ready as soon as I arrive at the coffee shop. Lunch is just a sandwich but it a great time for reading the newspaper and absorbing the sun in summer.
ReplyDeleteIf I was retired I would get out of bed at 10 most days. Newspaper and coffee in the sun is the dream!
Delete