Wednesday 26 September 2018

The Week in Pictures

Spring seems to be arriving here in Sydney. Temperatures have made a drop into winter territory but the flowers haven't noticed. When I stand on our deck this view is a lot prettier, I struggle to make a camera do it justice but you can see the bougainvillea in the foreground, the pink grevillea a little further away and then the lavender and great blousey roses are in our neighbour's garden.
I tend not to notice the May flower but it also adds to the prettiness of the view.
I enjoy the flowers so much that sometimes I don't even see the blue trailer......




The ducks who frequent to pool at work have also noticed that it is the season for love (or for ducks, the season of violent rape with a barbed "instrument"
As I arrived at work on Monday I could see our business manager hanging around the front door. I knew he was waiting for me but by the time I go inside he was gone and the lady I share an office with told me he'd left a duck egg.......

.......on my desk.......he'd found it by the pool.

The weirdness of the whole duck egg thing was enhanced because my son plans to marry this man's daughter.

I put the egg outside for the magpies to find. It should make a decent meal for a magpie.



Out for lunch with the girls last week we were accosted by "Oscar" the labrador x poodle who did a mighty fine line in cute. We offered to "keep an eye on him" while his owner went to mooch around the cafe gift shop.
He seemed to enjoy the teeniest pieces of lamb wrap and cherry danish and I was left to ponder the comment of my daughter "How can anyone walk past a dog who wants a pat?"
Who indeed. 


19 comments:

  1. I can see the prettiness in the yard, and I did not notice the blue thing until you mentioned it. Why would he remove the duck egg? Somewhere, a mother is looking for it. I can walk right past any dog since I am terrified of them and allergic...lol. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The egg was laid on a concrete slab so I don't think it had a good chance. I hope some hungry critter makes use of it. It's breeding season so could be very useful to a busy mother....

      Delete
  2. I am a sucker for a dog with a wagging tail. My sister has always said I gig dogs and small children since both tend to gravitate toward me.
    The flowers are beautiful!
    The duck egg? Odd at best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gravitate towards dogs and they don't get a chance! I'm less keen on small children, but it depends on the child.

      Delete
  3. Hey I found someone else that is terrified of dogs too! I thought I was the only one.

    What a strange gift to leave on your desk, tell him you'd rather have a Cadbury's Creme egg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Cadbury creme egg would be a lot less interesting!

      After a run in with a clients dog I have some understanding of fear of dogs. It's very frightening if they have a go at you

      Delete
  4. Loving your yard.
    Perhaps he thought the egg would bring out your baking mojo?
    I find it very hard to ignore dogs, cats, people just wanting some acknowledgement of their existence...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was goint to take the egg home for my husband but then someone said it's a wild egg and could be contaminated so I got a bit scared. On reflection, most people throughout history have eaten wild eggs!

      Delete
  5. What's the blue trailer for Kylie? Perhaps you or a member of your family could paint flowers upon it so that it blends in with your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our neighbour's trailer and I thinkit's full of secret men's business?

      Delete
  6. Every time you post on the climate there, I have to remember that you live down under! We are just heading towards winter with a very short post monsoon warm weather here. When we were in Kerala many years ago, we used to regularly eat duck eggs instead of chicken eggs. Quite tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The different seasons here surprise all of my northern hemisphere friends!
      I know duck eggs are said to be very good but I haven't tried any. I hope the magpies enjoyed this one

      Delete
  7. "How can anyone walk past a dog who wants a pat?" I do agree. I often see dogs behind garden gates or tied up outside shops, begging for some attention, and I always give them some. Who can possibly resist?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a little afraid of dogs I don't know, so I don't pat them but I do feel sorry for them if they are tied up or being dragged along when they want to stop and sniff. I've known a couple of labradoodles and they are/were very gentle.

    Since we're talking about dogs, may I remind you that you haven't shown us a picture of Harry in absolutely ages :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never afraid of dogs and I'm still not really but a couple of experiences have taught me to watch their body language and be more thoughtful than I used to be.
      Harry turns five today and he had a huge lunch of that terrible processed roll stuff to celebrate. It was enough food for two or three days and he still thinks he's hungry!

      Delete
  9. Next year I'm going to jazz up my garden. It's always saved for next year!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year is a very good time to do lots of things!

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.