Friday 15 February 2019

watching



I never get tired of flying over Sydney, or anywhere really. The landscape below is endlessly interesting and of course in my home city I try to pick out landmarks I know.
This shot was taken this week when I went to the Melbourne campus of the college I work for. It was quite an occasion with all employees required to attend. There were a number from Sydney, one travelled from Brisbane, one from Port Macquarie and of course the local Melbournites were there in force.
I picked up a very large rental car and drove a couple of colleagues across Melbourne, once making the mistake of not stopping behind a stopping tram. The tram driver was not best pleased but I managed not to kill her passenger and I won't get confused that way again!
In these situations I am always interested in the people and I wasn't disappointed. The prison chaplain was under pressure with an extraordinarily difficult schedule in the days leading up to the trip but he remained calm and civilised even after a 3.30 am start. The right person to have in a prison, I'd think.
The colleague who is blunt and brash and seemingly self assured described her life with crippling anxiety and the one who is quite obviously a bundle of nervous energy raced ahead all the time, leaving me to straggle behind.
I was in a position to meet my Melbourne based line manager (whatever happened to the old name "boss"?) but she was quite distracted. I guess I can surmise that I'm trusted......
I had been a little nervous of the travel but in the end I realised that my creaky body is in some ways less of a hindrance than the shyness, anxiety or low self belief that others carry with them.

29 comments:

  1. What a wonderful realisation to have. I creak and am anxious and shy. I conceal the emotions reasonably well. I think.
    And yes, the prison chaplain sounds the right fit for a very difficult job.
    Glad you had such a rewarding trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hidden anxiety is still draining and I'm assuming a joy stealer, though I know you have other sources of joy.
      You commented late for you, I hope you're ok

      Delete
    2. kylie: Thank you. Struggling a bit but ok(ish).

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you enjoyed the trip. My travelling days are over and I am content to stay within the city where I live and just go visiting on one day trips at the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are content I think that's what we all want!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a very good trip and hats off to you. I am debating a trip in June, an important one and I am of two minds but I find your post encouraging.

    The prison chaplain sounds like he should be handing out his personality to people.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would encourage you to take the important trip but I also acknowledge that it's costly in some ways, the balance can be hard to assess

      Delete
  4. Not stopping behind a stopping tram?!!! Oh my goodness! Though it seems everyone survived. Travelling makes me anxious.... I'm a bit nervous of colliding with things!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have trams here and I didn't expect to meet any there do I didn't check the rules. I'm blaming the satnav!

      Delete
    2. You need a driver 😉

      Delete
  5. That was an interesting and informative interlude. Like you I have learned to cope with physical inconveniences when travelling. I can't imagine what cronic lack of confidence must be like in those circumstances. Oh, and I, too, never get tired of views from above. I used to fly around in s a small helicopter (many years ago for my work) and I absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helicopters probably give a better view than a plane!

      Delete
  6. I love flying and watching down below as you do. I spent many hours in small aircraft in the Arctic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a tiny bit jealous of your time in the Arctic!

      Delete
    2. I am more than a tiny bit jealous - despite not liking planes.

      Delete
  7. You are so right - less-visible challenges are still challenges and can be quite debilitating. Our daughter has quite severe anxiety ; she doesn't display it nearly to the extent that she feels it but it affects her whole mental and emotional landscape.

    I hope you had a chance to eat well and have fun while you were away! Even if you didn't, sometimes it's nice to go away and just not have to think about meals and dishes and laundry for a few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had some beautiful Thai food! I think most were too tired for fun but maybe next time.
    That's rough for your daughter and tough for a mum to watch, too

    ReplyDelete
  9. "My creaky body is in some ways less of a hindrance than the shyness, anxiety or low self belief that others carry with them." I guess that may well be true. Crippling shyness or anxiety can really ruin your life and make every social occasion a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, I'd like a body that worked properly but at least I can walk into a room full of people and be unbothered

      Delete
  10. Just between you and me, I travelled back from the States to the UK on my own for the first time last week. I've always been with someone, and I was a bag of nerves. Anxiety can be crippling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah. When did the term "line manager" rear its head? Perhaps it was borrowed from "line dancing". But how can one manage a line? Lines are painted on the ground and they just sit there, refusing to be managed. Did you crash into the tram?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about teams is that they stay on tracks so their line of travel is entirely predictable. So no, I didn't even come close. Pedestrians, on the other hand ....

      Delete
    2. *trams* that was meant to say. note to self: WEAR GLASSES

      Delete
  13. Now I know where these drivers come from who drive past trams when passenger are getting off.They come from Sydney. I should have known...
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like flying but I love visiting so fly I do. The hassle at the airport is bad enough (although I'm getting better at that - I should be, I'm 60 now and have been travelling all my life) but the actual flying - nah, I don't like that at all. Just glad when I get there, although I have learned to take soap, towel, deo and toothbrush etc on the plane with me so that I feel slightly normal when I arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling normal when you arrive is a big help

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.