Sunday 23 June 2019

Thrift

After the whole dog incident, I was browsing Facebook marketplace in a casual but ongoing search for a rug to put on our cold floor. There was a cream, gold & navy one listed at a price I could afford and I asked keaghan if he could accompany me to go look at it.
Keaghan thought I could find one cheaper in a charity shop he visited last week so we took the twenty minute drive to Sutherland.
The rugs there were horrid but we mooched around. I like poking about in the crockery and Keaghan found an ironing board to replace our broken one. I made an impulse buy: a poncho on my favourite shades of purple, aqua and pink. I guess I don't need a poncho but I have a very big weakness for pretty fabrics and it was $10.
It was 3pm and time to fuel up so we dropped in to the ramen place next door and I had my first ever bowl of ramen. It was super delicious. So yum.
We spent a lot of money for a cheap rug we didn't actually get   ðŸ˜‚😂
And I was grateful I could.

I messaged the seller of the marketplace rug and by the time we got home and set up the new-old ironing board he'd messaged to say he was available.
A quick stop for cash and off we went. When we got  to Auburn he was standing outside with some mates who were just leaving. "I'm Javid" he said as he shook both our hands. The rug was laid out on the drive where he had washed it. It was still damp and Keaghans fastidious nature was deeply impressed.
I bargained a few dollars off the price which Javid was good naturedly firm about.
He helped to roll it up and stow it in the car, shook hands again and bade us farewell. Javid was a Hazara man and the Hazara value their rugs so I hope we weren't buying a cherished rug to finance next weeks food.
It was a wee adventure which enriched my week.... Or maybe my month.

29 comments:

  1. That rug is GORGEOUS. It would enrich my month and probably the years to come. I do hope that it wasn't financing the families food. So much I hope that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Have you heard any more from dog bite woman? I hope not. I suspect not. With luck she has found another drama.

      Delete
    2. If i found out they needed food I would have to give the rug back!

      Not a word from Ms Hysteria so I suspect that's the end of it

      Delete
    3. I am glad that Ms Hysteria has gone quiet. And am not surprised to hear you would have returned the rug.

      Delete
  2. Wow that really is a beautiful rug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a rug with a story...or perhaps it is a magic carpet. Sit cross-legged on it. Say the magic words. And fly off to Narnia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great buy. The carpet looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to get it dry! We have had so little rain for months that we have water restrictions but I can't get enough dry weather to dry a rug :)

      Delete
  5. The rug is beautiful Show us the poncho, please!



    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely rug. You were right to rule out the charity shop's offerings and go for the Hazara one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a relatively cheap synthetic rug rather than a heirloom hand knotted one, Nick. It still may have been important to him, though

      Delete
  7. Maybe YP is spot on and it is a Magic Carpet. You could do with a little bit of good luck so this could be the turning point.
    Lovely colours - would fit right in here lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pink striped couch and I haven't actually confirmed that they are ok together but I have a kind of bohemian thing going on.....

      Delete
  8. An ironing board and a rug for the floor all in one day. One practical and the other a treasure to warm up and add cheer and luxury to a room.
    Oh yes, and the poncho, just because you fancied it....
    I have many questions about the rug, swirling around in my mind.
    Alphie








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have many questions about the rug which will never be answered :)

      Delete
  9. That's really gorgeous! What a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is beautiful. It's lovely to get something second-hand that has been well-cared for and still beautiful. Will you show us the poncho? I had two when I was younger; one I made in sewing class. I can still picture the colour and pattern. And the other was bought, knitted; I can still picture that one too. Clothing seems to stick in my mind like movies or cars do in other people's minds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I remember clothing and I collect fabrics. Not pieces of fabric like a crafter does but table cloths, sarongs, place mats....and now ponchos!

      Delete
    2. I collect fabrics, too, and most of them are clothing bought just for that purpose. My husband thinks I am a little nuts. I also collect buttons. Just to have. Maybe I am a little nuts.

      Delete
  11. I've caught up. I hope the dog incident is now well behind you. The rug looks very interesting indeed. I was going to say that I hadn't had a rug in my house for some years since I put fitted carpets over my wooden parquet floors. Then I realised that I still have a rug I walk on many times a day which I inherited from my Uncle when he died and I just couldn't get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ranger called today, investigating the incident so it's likely to drag on. I don't feel good about it.
      The rug is lovely. It makes the place feel more homely. I understand you keeping your uncle's rug. Some things are just not negotiable.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you had an adventure and got a new rug too. So is it dry now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not! I'm starting to think it was only sold because selling was easier than drying it 🤔

      Delete
  13. So Beautiful, oh my, I so hope he wasn't selling out of poverty. But then again, if not you buying it the next person would.

    I would love this, gorgeous design.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, poverty can make a person liable to sell anything to anyone

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.