Wednesday 1 January 2020

2020 begins

Over the last few weeks I have found homes for my friend's cats, finished the work year, celebrated Christmas and taken an overnight trip to Mittagong, a small town just outside Sydney. I made my annual visit to see my cousin on the other side of Sydney and watched Season 2 of The Crown (and am now part way through season 3)
A harsh bush fire season has everyone on the edge of their seats, I'm sure you all know about that, and I am back to work tomorrow with the prospect of applying for my job or becoming unemployed in the next few weeks.
My ex bizarrely sent me a Christmas gift (he rarely gave me anything in 30 years together) and has invited me to a family dinner on the weekend. My mother -in-law is seriously ill and has been here from Malaysia in what I expect to be her last visit so I will attend the dinner with the expectation that it is my farewell to her.  (When I saw her at Liam's wedding I thought that was farewell,too so who knows how many times I will imagine I'm saying goodbye)
I have never had anything but the most basic type of relationship with her, given that I don't speak any Chinese languages and she doesn't speak English so we are not close but I have known her a long time and I have had a respect for her resilience and good humour throughout a very difficult life. At the wedding I slipped outside for some cool air after dinner and was sitting on a low stone wall when MIL was heading home. She sat down next to me to wait for her lift and I rubbed her back a little. I don't know why I did that but I felt it said what I wanted to tell her. The coming dinner might be disappointing after that.
I'm finding the coming year a bit frightening to think about, my household will become just two people, I haven't worked full time in 25 years and I haven't studied in even longer.
I need to keep in mind a saying I learned long ago "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time"



You have my very best wishes for the coming year: may you find health, happiness, strength, resilience and connection as you make your way through the weeks.



And some photos from the last little while:

In the Sturt Gallery

The birds in this tree were a lot more striking in real life, it was very unusual especially in the smokey skies.

The gallery stood on a large piece of land.




Children and fur children






24 comments:

  1. All in all an eventful year and a good post to close it with. Great photographs.

    Thank you for your good wishes and I have great pleasure in sending you mine as well for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to apply for the job you are doing? Happy New Year. Are you sure the gift was no a Trojan Horse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The job I am applying for includes what I currently do plus extra duties to make it up to a full time position.
      The gift was a coffee mug so I can't see it as a Trojan horse....but also I can only see it that way. Probably overthinking!

      Delete
  3. Yet another beautiful, thoughtful post.
    I am sure that rubbing your MIL's back was taken, as it was meant, as a true gift.
    And love the wishes and the photos you finish the post on.
    Here's to a gentler, kinder, more compassionate year - packed with love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've really had a busy few weeks - that's a lot to have going on.

    I don't like change so I would be freaking out about the job change. Uncertainty is stressful.

    Maybe your ex is realizing how good he had it, and the gift and invitation are peace offerings? Some folks are hard to read.

    Love the photos, kylie. Your children look happy. Isn't that what we want for our kids?

    Happy New Year to you and yours, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenny,
      I struggle with change, too but I've had a lot of practice lately.
      Given that I have no reserves , unemployment is a scary prospect but I don't think it will come to that. I hope it doesn't.
      And yes, happy kids is what I want!

      Delete
  5. Change is daunting, but I'm sure you will handle it one bite at a time!

    That was lovely with your MIL.

    Great photo and also your new profile one :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will handle it, I think in a way I'd rather just get on with it than know it will happen but not be doing it.

      Delete
  6. I never liked change either. Much more comfortable with what I know. I wish you luck with your job however it turns out - as you say, you haven't worked full-time in ages so it might not be what you want. Either way, good luck. And I think that was a nice gesture to your MIL! I'm sure she understood. Oh and thanks for the Christmas card! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all comfortable with what we know but it doesnt get us far, does it?

      Delete
  7. I'm late as usual, but I still wish you a very happy and satisfying 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time" I like it!

    All the best for 2020, Kylie. I hope the dinner with your mother in law goes well, and I hope you don't find yourself unemployed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was very good, I had gnocci with olives, zucchini flowers, beetroot and ricotta

      Delete
  9. I love it when you show pictures of your beautiful daughters. They always look so happy and must have been an enormous tonic to you during the difficult year just gone. All the best to you in 2020 Kylie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My children have been my greatest champions for a good number of years, they are good people

      Delete
  10. It's a strange feeling when you know someone is at the end of their lives and you keep thinking that it will be the last time you see them, and then it isn't. I've had that the last 2 and a half years with my mother. Twice I was told she was dying, and both times she pulled through. Now every time I see her in the home I think it could be the last so I act and talk to her as if it is. It's actually emotionally draining.

    I hope all the changes that are happening to you turn out to be good ones in this new year. I know ALL about living in a home with just one other person. That takes adjustment as well.

    Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey,
      I remember when your girls moved out but I had no idea what kind of a shock to the system it is. Now I get it.

      All the best for the year 😊

      Delete
  11. You sound like you have a lot going on in 2020 - All the very best to you!
    Thank you for the quote about the elephant - I will try to remember it [elephants never forget!] as I need that sort of quote to get me going.
    I hope the fires subside soon.
    Sxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. All the best with the job. Many of us in Oz are in tenuous work situations. I hope yours gets resolved for the better and soon.

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.