Wednesday 22 July 2020

Random musings

It's cold here this morning and  I have set the day, or at least a chunk of it, aside for study which doesn't do much to help a person stay warm so very unusually for me, the heater has been turned on and my wheat bag is having regular little bursts in the microwave. It sits on my legs and I warm my hands on it.
Harry is locked in because who has the door open when it's 8° out? He hasn't eaten his breakfast, maybe he's leaving it to warm up in the weak sun. He'll go hungry at that rate.

I am not required at work on Wednesdays but as I'm the only person on-site in these times of so much working from  home,  have been going n most Wednesdays, just to keep an eye on everything. Yesterday I made sure there was nothing outstanding and committed to a day at home. Just now the Flick lady who changes sanitary bins phoned me to find out if anyone would be able to allow her access and we organised a time tomorrow. There really is something happening all the time,  not much, just enough to need a person there.

Caitlin and I have recently enjoyed "Pulse" on Netflix. It is an ABC production so it must have been free-to-air here at some point but I missed it. What happened to the days when everyone was forced to watch the same small selection at any particular day and time? I feel like there was a lot more community in that way of watching: the sharing of highlights in the lunch room next day and the little flash of excitement when you met someone who was watching the same show. Even when VHS tapes came along and we could watch at a time which suited, we were still locked into the same programming.
Having finished "Pulse", which I recommend by the way, I'm now watching "Indian Matchmaker" It's fascinating and I love the matchmaker. She goes all out to provide a good service but she's also brutally blunt about the self centredness and immaturity of some clients. I want to high five her.

Covid has this week come closer than before, the groundsman at work visited the centre of the Bateman's Bay cluster and is required to self isolate. It's not really a close call because I don't see him much and he hasn't been diagnosed, but it does illustrate how the virus is never so far away.

Now I have to go and write an order of service for a naming ceremony, my first attempt lacked detail. I also need to nut out a written statement of faith, in lay persons language. It will take some real thought to articulate that.

21 comments:

  1. 'She goes all out to provide a good service but she's also brutally blunt about the self centredness and immaturity of some clients'. Now that sounds like the sort of person the world NEEDS.
    Badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't seem to listen very well!
      I suppose its normal for that kind of change to be slow

      Delete
  2. Living here in that much despised state of Victoria I don't do anything as adventurous as travel to another town. My next big occasion will be to go to the nearby small shopping centre for a few things. Wearing a mask.
    Apropos of nothing I know someone whose daughter and family live in WA and when it was suggested they might go over to help her,their daughter shrieked "No Mum, stay in Melbourne, they'll stone you if you come over here!"
    I think she was only half joking.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not even half joking!
      I was reading about how miserable Victorians are finding it. Don't worry, it will be us soon

      Delete
  3. 8 C or F? either way, that sounds cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 C, I think it's around 45 F so not cold for lots of places but cold for Sydney!

      Delete
  4. Eight degrees, blimey! It's about 19 degrees here, and even that is much cooler than it should be for the end of July.

    We still don't use Netflix, as there are some great TV series on the regular channels right now. Mrs America (about the movement to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment in the States) and The Plot Against America (about a Jewish family watching the rise of the fascist Charles Lindbergh in the 1930s) are both excellent. Maybe they're coming your way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about those shows, I'll have to have a look. I probably wouldn't have Netflix except one of the kids got it quite a few years ago and I just use their account

      Delete
    2. I find a lot of things I like to watch on the streaming services of free-to-air channels

      Delete
  5. Well, this old CAnadian boy has to scratch his head about your cold weather!Plus 8? Half of our year we don't get that high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know, we're wimpy down here! And the old houses aren't very well insulated

      Delete
  6. I keep forgetting you're in winter as we try and breathe through 25 heat with 88% humidity. Daughter had a naming ceremony for Grandgirl and it was lovely. We all planted a tree in her honour. I also attended a menarch ceremony for a native/aboriginal girl that involved strawberries and a massive celebration. We should do more of that.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the humidity that's hard to deal with at 88 percent.ugh.
      I thought a menarche celebration was a great idea and put it to my girls at the time but they withered with the "weirdness" !!

      Delete
  7. I shall add Pulse to my Netflix list. I'm having bother finding something to watch - I've become very fussy, or spoilt, one or the other.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll watch any trash for an episode or two! Currently the Real Housewives Of New York.

      Delete
  8. I was discussing this with my partner that years ago we all watched the same programmes on TV. There were only 3 channels and whatever the big show was at the time, everyone watched it and then talked about it the next day. Oh how times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love streaming at my convenience but there was a sense of community in the old way

      Delete
  9. I like your random musings, kylie. I hope your writing went well! and I echo EC about the matchmaker.

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.