Friday 1 January 2021

It's not in me china garden.....


 

Miss London came to my church about 12 years ago. She sat quietly in her pew and didn't mix  much but somehow decided that my family was ok and singled out Liam as a talent to watch. It annoyed me a little as I have three other wonderful children.....anyway, that's how I got to know her a little.

After her very best friend passed away a couple of years ago, I invited her to join my seniors group. She was hesitant but the prospect of a weekly outing tempted her and so I picked her up each week, took her to the group and then at her insistence, drove her to her favourite lunch spot to be treated to lunch. She always had the same things, a seafood basket for an appetite or bacon and eggs if she didn't. Followed by coffee.

She would enquire about my life (taking care to ask about all of my children, my sister and my parents) and tell me tales of hers, she was obviously proud of two things: her 22 years in the military and the fact that she didn't care about houses, interiors and decor.

She talked about her years as a nurse, told me about a child she kidnapped from next door because he wasn't cared for (she gained custody of the boy and raised him for a number of years until his mother wanted him back), talked about the motor racing she had done and the high profile people she had met.

She didn't remember names and called everyone "sexy legs" or "China" for those who appeared to be Chinese. Her humour danced along the boundaries we expect from white haired old ladies: one time the even older lady next to her had a booger visible in her nose and Miss London had everyone in fits of laughter by asking if it was a wayward bit of tinsel.

When Sydney went into strong restrictions early this year, I stopped the seniors group and mostly stopped seeing her, I sent a few notes and dropped by once but I was holding her up from going to craft and she let me know.

When I was ready to try again, she was admitted to hospital and restricted to only one visitor, the same one each time. She went in to hospital with gastro and came out two months later with a cancer diagnosis. 

Of her cancer she said "it's in me mouth, it's in me neck, it's in me nellies, but it's not in me china garden so I'm ok"

I saw her in palliative care, about three weeks ago, she was in fine form that day but her painkillers were increased sharply only days later and she took a down turn just after Christmas.

Miss London loved order and she went out with that characteristic style: born on the 30th (of June) in 1930, lived to 90, went out on the 30th December, 2020. It's very tidy, isn't it?

I'm sorry you had to go, Moyra but I know you are with friends and pain free, we'll meet again.


19 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written.
    I almost feel I knew Moyra London.
    What an interesting life she had; and I'm glad she found a place of welcome in your church; because churches are a great community resource, and everyone should feel valued in church, whatever their beliefs, whatever their age or past history.
    Moyra is not suffering now.

    As someone says in a J.B. Priestley play, *There's a better place than this.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The friend who went before Moyra had vivid visions of the place she was going to and the place she saw was captivatingly beautiful.

      Delete
  2. This is indeed lovely.
    And hooray for what sounds like a perfectly time and pain free exit. I hope that you do meet up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As exits go, it was very good. People had time to say goodbye but she didn't linger in suffering.
      I do think I'll see her again, hopefully not for some time though 😊

      Delete
  3. Well said about your friend. She was a character and enjoyed life by doing many things people wouldn't think of doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was an absolute character, didn't suffer fools gladly but also had a great deal of empathy. She regularly went to sit with the dying at the village she lived in

      Delete
  4. This is lovely Kylie, what an elegant tribute to a remarkable woman!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was remarkable even from the start: Born at sea, surviving twin, the other buried at sea, put up for adoption and adopted by her grandfather....

      Delete
  5. Ask and you shall receive.
    Thanks Kylie.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome and I couldn't believe the timing of your question

      Delete
  6. She sounds like a loveable character. I am sorry you lost her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was often difficult but had a certain charm!

      Delete
  7. What a great eulogy, kylie! You brought Miss London to life for your readers very handily and in a remarkably well-written way. Best thing I’ve read in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed! She gave me good material

      Delete
  8. She sounds like quite a character, what with the military service, the kidnapping, the nursing, and the motor racing. She was obviously still a live wire as she waited for the end. I hope I can go out in such great style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a character and it was trailblazing for a woman of her age to ignore household activities. She never cooked a day in her life!

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.