Monday 20 June 2022

Fixing stuff......

 Well, I'm employed again after being made redundant last December and now that I'm earning enough I am starting to plan house maintenance which has been sorely neglected for a very long time.

The first priority was a new fence to replace the one that was so bad, Lucy dog might be able to just crash right through it. 

So, the fence had been measured up and the fabrication was underway and another job cropped up.
We attempted to change a lightbulb in the loungeroom. PUCK went the circuit. We reset the circuit breaker and tried again. PUCK.

As far as we know, the lights are the original ones installed about 60 years ago so I saw where this was headed and called an electrician. 

Mustafa arrived promptly, making jokes and chatting away. As he worked to make a repair on a burnt out fitting, he dropped a screw. We couldn't find it and he couldn't fix the light without it. I decided it would be smarter to get new lights than hassle about trying to fix the existing ones.

So, off I went and picked out some lights and Mustafa came back to install them. He talked about his life and his children, his wife's cafe, studying in French and village life in Lebanon.

Somehow, he told us he had a pet lamb, purchased to keep the children from spending long locked-down days staring at screens.

"Did you eat it?" I asked.

"No, I couldn't eat a pet....he went to live on my friends farm, not to be slaughtered."

There were videos of the lamb eating watermelon and chasing Mustafa's young boy up the street, doing little happy jumps as he went.

When it came time to pay, the price was discounted: "We're friends now" he said and the new lights were not the only bright spot on a cold winter evening.



By the way, the funeral went well. A lady with a walker even made her way especially to tell me she thought it was a lovely service so I'm calling that a win.

22 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for employment and a new friend! I knew you would do well with the service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Employment is very good! And thank you

      Delete
  2. I had every confidence in your ability to have a good service. Thank goodness you got the lights fixed. That could be dangerous. Over here, when an animal "goes to live on a farm," that is what parents tell kids whose pet died. But, our retriever really was taken to the farm to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old lights were a chandelier style and the spiders liked to make webs all over them which was gross so now we have an oyster style which makes the ceiling look higher and the lights will stay clean.
      Gone to live on a farm is a terrible lie to tell a child

      Delete
  3. Hooray. On all sorts of levels. I am unsurprised that the funeral went well - and someone making their way up especially to tell you so is defiinitely a win.
    And hooray for new friends, and lights. I love the lamb being retired to a farm too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mustafa was a lovely guy and now I need to find more electrical jobs to be done!
      I'm also glad the lamb has a good home

      Delete
  4. Sadly I think my comment has gone to the spam folder. Hiss and spit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramana Rajgopaul8:59 pm, June 20, 2022

    Congratulations on being employed again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's far from a sure thing when one is disabled and over 50

      Delete
  6. Good to know house maintenance is progressing, and that you've made a new friend in the process. And good to know the funeral went off smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will take a long time to catch up on the work that needs doing but I look forward to each step.

      Delete
  7. Some good ! Some bad here! Good that you've found employment that allows you more opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on working and I loved your story of the electrician and the lamb.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was just delighted to hear it all

      Delete
  9. There is always something needing fixing in a house! I wish Mustafa lived close enough to do electrical work here that needs done. I find it challenging to cold-call tradespeople as I never know if they'll be good, so I put it off and put it off.

    Glad you are employed again - yay! and yay for a funeral that was pleasing to the guests. It's good to receive positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a website/ app here where you type in what type of job you need doing and tradespeople will phone or message. It immediately sorts out who is interested :)
      I wonder if you can find a local version, it makes things so easy.

      My husband did urgent things but wasn't so great at maintenance and he didn't like having contractors around so there have been a lot of things unattended for a long time

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the new employment - and for fixing the lights, and for making a friend.
    I'm pleased the funeral went well.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying to catch up on lots of neglected reading so I'm going to have to back-track from here. I'm so glad you've got a new job and are able to catch up on maintenance. I think we all need a Mustafa in our lives don't we!

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.