Wednesday 10 January 2024

Nostalgia


Sitting at traffic lights a few days ago, I looked at this sign and thought you don't often see that blue and yellow logo with the Rx any more. Then I thought about how this sign has been on this bubilding for as long as I can remember, probably longer than I have been alive. Then I thought I must photograph it because one day it will be gone and nobody will remember Boians Pharmacy though any local will probably have been there for a late night medication purchase.
So, it's a poor quality photo through my windscreen and not particularly well framed but it's here and I will remember.




The day after that I was going to work, up the street I grew up in and where my parents still live. I looked at these frangipani trees and remembered walking under them as a girl. I used to pick up the fallen flowers and drink in the perfume, thinking it the most exotic thing in the world. I still love the strong, sweetness of frangipani and planted one near my front door hoping to have it waft through the door at times. I realise now that the prevailing wind is in the wrong direction but I still get to enjoy the flowers.



 

12 comments:

  1. You probably aren't the only one who has taken a photo of the sign but it is important that such things are captured for future historians and just the curious and nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think of our every day surroundings as so ordinary that we don't take photos but 20 or 30 years on, it's fascinating to see the changes

      Delete
  2. I have similar pictures. Someday, I will miss the real thing. I have never heard of that tree. But, it looks to have an abundance of blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I expect you know the tree because it should grow well in the south but maybe you call it another name. The scientific name is Plumeria

      Delete
  3. The little things are huge in my world and I try to capture them before they slip away from me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe I should think more about what I want to capture

      Delete
  4. Things do pass away so I can understand entirely why you snapped that picture of the chemist's sign. I have taken many pictures of old red phone boxes that were later removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red phone boxes were iconic.
      There was a bank of phones on the wall at Central station which I used a lot as a young woman. I had a rush of nostalgia when I saw a photo of them recently. Ordinary things nobody thinks about

      Delete
  5. A good jog to me for capturing the small stuff which is the most important of all. Thanks Kylie!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately I can't smell frangipani or anything else as I've totally lost my sense of smell. But I well remember long-gone shops and buildings like Boian. I must say it would be hard to find late-night medication in this neighbourhood. Pharmacies shut late afternoon and that's that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you lose your sense of smell?
      Boian has been there a long long time. It must have been a revolution in its day and it's still hard to find a late opening pharmacy

      Delete
    2. I simply lost it. I'm not even sure when it happened, except that it was definitely before covid so it wasn't that. Something happening in the smell part of my brain, I guess.

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.