Friday 26 July 2024

Dubbo

 My last stop on the silo art tour was the city of Dubbo, the city where my Dad grew up (though it was a town then) and I wanted to see Western Plains Zoo.

There is no silo art in Dubbo but it was a great place to end a good trip.

There were issues with my hotel booking, which I guess is what you get when you book the cheapest place during school holidays. I'm trying to get a refund because I ended up paying for 3 nights instead of 2. If I lose the money it's not the end of the world but if I'd known I could have gone somewhere a tiny bit ritzier.

Dubbo is a big regional centre but when I went to get myself dinner I was a little intimidated by the people I saw on the street because there seemed to be some addicts around, or maybe it wasn't the addicts but the fact that I didnt see many other people at all.

The car park of my hotel was locked at night, which I thought was just a standard precautionary thing but I later learned there is quite a bit of theft from the car park. 

Anyways, that's all just to say I was a bit surprised.


These sculptures are wildebeest, right? I didn't see signage to confirm that but they were all through the "African Savannah" display at the zoo. I really loved the way they were placed, it felt real.


 




Przewalski's Horse. I thought they were the fore runner to the moden horse but no, they have a completely different number of chromosomes. They are also from Asia, not Europe as I assumed from the name. And the guy who named them wasn't Polish but Russian. 
I made a lot of bad assumptions but what I got right was enjoying them.




This is the view from my car window. Just fabulous. If zoos can inspire people to care just a little more, I think there's a place for them. If they are done right.




Blackbuck Antelope.



Banteng




Outside the Afican Wild Dogs




More Wildebeest




I love elephants. They were good to watch soon after the zoo opened but as the day went on, they stood at the gate, waiting to go back to their private space. I wonder if they have an indoor space and wanted to get in where it was warm or if there's something else more attractive about being back there. This is when it would be good to ask a keeper.





I took this photo for Dad. It would have been the only bridge over the river when he was a boy. Now there's a four lane concrete bridge. It's a gorgeous bit of parkland but theres a whole lot of construction and road work going on just out of shot so not really an enjoyable place to be at the moment.




Zoo tickets allow entry on two consecutive days, which I thought was a great deal. I went expecting to spend one whole day but it was very cold and I decided to make it a half day and come again if I felt like it. In the end, I did just that. The two half days also meant I got to see the animals on two mornings around feeding time. I don't know for sure but I suspect you get a better view that way. 



It was too cold for the meerkats to be out but the sentry was taking the job seriously.



There was a whole garden bed full of this fungi. It looked fabulous.






24 comments:

  1. Dubbo zoo is definitely a zoo done right. I really like the idea of getting two day's entry too. It makes a heap of sense.
    I am constantly blown away when I remember that giraffes have the same number of bones in their neck as we do - and admire their grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention I thought the cafe and g ift shop was lovely as well. A definite winner

      Delete
  2. Although some people think zoos are artificial and cruel, your photos show that the Western Plains Zoo is open and free for the animals brought in for families to see. As long as the animals are never put in chains or cages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels,
      It's a very nice zoo and doesn't feel like a cage situation but there are fences and moats to contain the animals. When I think of animals who would usually travel long distances, they don't have that level of freedom but the zoo makes huge efforts to give them interesting activities

      Delete
  3. That was a great tour. I learned things, too. It would be disappointing to be in a place where I knew all the answers. I like to leave places with something to google. I am dying of the heat and you are cold..!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been gorgeous, warm winter weather the last couple of days but last week was very cold and it's even colder away from the coast, as I was.
      It wont be long before I am complaining about heat and humidity!

      Delete
  4. They are great photos. I stayed a night in Dubbo when I was about 20, so long ago and I can't remember it. It now sounds a bit dodgy. I'm very pleased the old bridge was kept. It looks similar to one across the Murray at Echuca. We saw African wild dogs in South Africa. I did not like them at all, but they are part of nature's balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it just me who has a weirdly romantic view of these old country bridges?
      I'm sure Dubbo can't be all dodgy and really nothing bad happened to me but I recommend avoiding Ibis Budget if you go there!

      Delete
  5. lol all roads lead to Dubbo😊 We usually try to avoid it, the truckies are like hooligans in that area. The Golfers takes a cross country route from Tomingley to Narramine then comes back on to the Newell north of Dubbo. My 2hr stint starts at Gilgandra when I take us up and over the Warranbungles, down to Coonabarabran and then through the Pillaga to Narrabri to arrive in time for lunch!
    Apart from the crook motel you’ve had a great time - I’m definitely green eyed with jealousy of the Silos you saw. Any thoughts on another road trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should be Warrumbungle I think

      Delete
    2. Hi Cathy, I just had a look at the map and the golfers route makes sense.
      I did have a great time. Andrews suggestion of Victorian silos sounds good. I'm keen to do Strzelecki at some point. There's the long paddock art trail, too, down around the Echuca/ Deni / Moama area.
      Knowing I got sick of being on the road after a week, I might need to build my "going away muscles" before I can try Strzelecki!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful zoo with respect for the animals. Reminds me of the Toronto one where the humans were "caged" and the animals free to roam and wander. You have some great shots Kylie, love the giraffes and the lone meerkat.
    A lovely trip.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, WWW. i think giraffes are one of the universally loved animals and i wonder why it is that we identify strongly with them

      Delete
  7. I recall when I was younger than 10 (so over 70 years ago) Whipsnade Zoo in England had wide open spaces and animals 'wild'. I have mixed views about zoos. I dislike the idea of impounding wild animals but I think it is very important that people (young people in particular) see them and understand the effect that human beings have had on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whipsnade must have been quite progressive back in the day.
      I don't love the idea of keeping animals locked up but zoos these days have a strong conservation focus and I think it's a bit of a win all around because the zoos help our understanding of the animals and we get to see them and appreciate them

      Delete
  8. Wow, having to lock the car park to prevent theft is pretty bad. Car parks here are pretty safe. Lots of great animals in the zoo. I love meerkats and prairie dogs. They're ideal for zoos because they have plenty of room to roam around, unlike the bigger animals in their limited spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of small animals have a large range so zoos might be less than ideal for them too. I don't know how much a meerkat woudl usually travel

      Delete
    2. You may be right. I read that meerkats can travel up to four miles in a single day.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you had an enjoyable trip. I haven't been to a zoo in years, so maybe I ought to add it to my list of things to do?!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  10. rhymeswithplague5:10 am, August 03, 2024

    Great animal photos! I love zoos. And I love your last two posts (I tried to leave a comment on the silor art post but I think it went off into the blogosphere void), especially because my vision is in amazing technicolor for the first time in years since I underwent cataract removal surgery tin July. Thank you, kylie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have comment moderation on for older posts, making sure I dont miss a comment, so thats why yours disappeared.
      I'm so pleased you're seeing in glorious colour and thank you for your enthusiasm

      Delete
  11. The African wild dogs look just like rocks. I guess it's a useful kind of disguise. Fortunately there's "emergency equipment" in the box in the event of an attack. I hope it's a loaded pistol or maybe a few cans of dog food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for a moment I thought you were gently mocking me. Then i realised that the brutal week I've had did a number on my sense of humour

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.