This week, I was told that my colleague has resigned and I was invited to apply for the position on a permanent basis.
This is very good.
The job is low paid and exhausting but it makes me feel alive and the low pay is more tolerable when there are more hours.
It has been a long time hope of mine to go to a Christmas in July dinner but for years now I have not booked anything early and as July progressed I have run out of time to squeeze in a Christmas in July event.
This year, my daughter Briony organised and paid for me before I could miss out for another year.
Last night I went with Briony and Caitlin to "Yulefest" at the Hydromajestic, a lovely old hotel in the Blue Mountains.
The hotel is gorgeous, the service was sublime, the five courses were all wonderful, there were twinkling lights and Christmas music. It was just a lovely evening.
Having ticked that off my bucket list, I will be content if I don't do it again. That's not to say I wouldn't do it again, just that it was lovely but there are other restaurants, festivals and joys to experience.
I am so blessed by my kid's generosity to me and wish I had done these kinds of things with my own mum but the whole dynamic was different.
Just a few years ago I tried to take mum and dad out for a delicious brunch but they ate beforehand and then didn't want more than coffee. In many ways mum and dad were quite modern but an "expensive" brunch was a bridge too far.
Today, my grown children, partners and grandson came "home" to celebrate the twins' birthday with cake. It was good. The young fella was particularly keen to hang out with "Keegy" as he calls his uncle and Keegy was happy to oblige. Many guavas were pulled from the tree and dandelions picked before a quick return to mum and then back out the door with upturned palm opening and closing "Keegy Come"

Congratulations on picking up additional days at your job.
ReplyDeleteAlso what fun to have a Christmas in July experience!
Christmas in July was lovely
DeleteThe grandson and Uncle Keegy are exploring together :)
ReplyDeleteThey are! It should be good for them both
DeleteChristmas in July. That's a hard one to get my head around.
ReplyDeleteIt's a way for them to get tourists up the mountains in the colder weather.
DeleteAnd it worked on me!
I was very impressed by the Hydromajestic when we visited a few years ago. What a venue! What views!
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased you were given the extra hours you wanted.
The magnolia is in bloom already. I must check the ones in my area.
I have photos of the magnolia from August/September so it is out really early this year.
DeleteI am glad you got to do a Christmas In July, there were some in Adelaide too, with one being featured on the channel 7 news. I like the idea of it, but dislike turkey.
ReplyDeleteThere was no turkey to be found at Yulefest.
DeleteCongrats on the job!
ReplyDeleteChristmas in July - yes, that makes sense in Australia!
Sx
We can have a hot weather Christmas and a cold weather one. That way we get more foods 🤤
DeleteWell I had never before heard of "Christmas in July" celebrations. I might switch my October birthday to September this year and afterwards switch it back to October just so that I can get two lots of gifts and cards. Your grandson appears to be suffering from blurrius facius - an increasingly common condition in children.
ReplyDelete"Birthday in September " sounds good to me! You could add a conception commemoration as well. Did you like my alliteration?
DeleteThe little guy's face isnt allowed to be shown so I doctored the picture
Your nameless little lad appears to have borrowed his face colour from his jumper. As he is anonymous I shall call him Noah which is currently the most popular name for baby boys in Australia. Rolf seems to have crashed for some reason. Is Noah interested in building wooden boats? Does he like animals?
DeleteP.S. I like the idea of cool camera-captured conception commemorations.
Noah has the same vowels as his real name but in the wrong order.
DeleteNoah likes firetrucks and his Gammy bought him a toy one. Noah phones his Gammy and says "Hi Gammy. Buff?"
As a Brit, it's hard to think of a Christmas meal in July. Sounds like it all went well. Good that your colleague resigned and you got those extra hours.
DeleteJacob? That's a nice name but Gammy sounds like an older lady with a gammy leg. Sorry - I couldn't help myself Kylie.
DeleteP.S. I am not a "Brit" like Nick as I have always detested that modern label. I don't mind "Briton" but you can stuff "Brit" where the sun don't shine.
Haha I chose Gammy for that exact reason. Black humour
DeleteNick,
DeleteIt was a lovely night out.
The extra hours were just rescinded. Time to eat 2 minute noodles and clear my parents house
That's a bummer re the hours. Magnolia looks good.
DeleteClearing your parents' house a worthy project if you have the time for it but not necessarily remunerative. Do you have siblings who can also shoulder some of this burden?
Have you contemplated taking in a lodger?
Anonymous,
DeleteMy son lives with me and contributes financially.
My siblings are busy people. The house has been weighing on me, I will soon be at a stage where I can get professionals in to finish the job and will be happy to do so.
So pleased to hear you had a much deserved treat, that feast at the Hydromajestic.
ReplyDeleteDid Christmas in July begin as an idea in the Blue Mountains ? Do you have a Boxing Day after ?
So the Clan were reunited at your home ? I can hear Judy Garland's Have Yourself A Merry Little ...
The grain silo in your last post delighted me. I read it and postponed my comment. Thanks again.
Jack, it's always good to have you drop by.
DeleteMid year Boxing Day really should be a thing!
I love to have the clan all here.
Thanks for visiting
Thinking spiritually: Founders Day https://share.google/USZAZn4gFIJOPJ4Cj
Delete