Thursday, 9 July 2026

A post about nothing

 Years and years as the person who eats the things that will be wasted if I don't eat them means my standards are quite low. As the person who was responsible for all the planning, all the shopping, all the food prep and all the cleaning up, my interest in doing a single unneccessary skerrick of work conspired to further lower my standards.

Today I thought we were having a lunch provided by work but I had the wrong day. I messaged my girls to say it was a huge disappointment but I would be ok because I have an office fruit bowl.


The responses:

"I thought chopped up fruit but not Kylie"

"I had the same thought. Pictured some cut up apples and some mushy pear and maybe some tinned cherries or something just for fun"


After I got home and had a small apple pie with my dinner, Keaghan asked "Did you at least warm it up?'

No, I did not.

"I knew you didn't, that's why I asked"


I appall them.


I also have a cold and got my car locked in the basement at work and had to get an Uber home. They say I have drama every day but I absolutely swear I don't create these situations on purpose.



18 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how many not so wonderful lunches I have eaten over my lifetime just to keep food from going into the trash. I don't think others in my family would have (for example) a tablespoon of green beans on wilted leftover tossed salad and call it a meal. I do that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's pretty common among mums.
      I'd put grated cheese with the salad and beans

      Delete
  2. Nothing gets leftover in my house! I'm agog!! Maybe I don't buy enough because I'm tight - I don't know?!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make extra of everything so I can have food that is ready to eat. When it's popular, it disappears but if it's not a favourite I eat it 5 times.
      When the whole family was still at home they ate what they were given but everything has changed.

      Delete
  3. The banana looked like a senior citizen. Do you like them that way? Kind of squidgy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spotty bananas are my favourite.
      And because of the cold weather the skin looked worse than what the banana inside was.

      Delete
  4. While I am now urged to eat any leftovers the day after, in the past with the former household chef, food could stay in the fridge for days before I would eat it. We were never food wasters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind how long things stay in the fridge if it's eventually eaten but often it's me who eats what is otherwise rejected.

      Delete
  5. That banana looks a day or two past its prime, but might be okay in a blender with yoghurt and milk as a smoothie. I am unable to eat things leftover for more than two days unless they are frozen, then they are eaten the day of thawing or tossed out. Usually I don't have leftovers anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The banana was good but the concern about it proves that i have low standards

      Delete
    2. We eat leftovers as they arrive. I am a vegetarian but my husband needs a higher protein diet and eats meat as well as vegetarian offerings. I cook meat but it is not my favourite thing to do. We try and not waste food. What gets away from us are pears. They ripen so oddly from the inside out and it seems that one day they are not ripe and the next day they are soggy. Modern storage techniques maybe? Anyway I am appalled at the rise in our grocery bill so that is another reason to use it all up. I try and batch cook too because although I have always enjoyed cooking I find it is now a huge chore, especially at the end of the day. Helen

      Delete
    3. Pears, avocados and kiwi fruit are all a bit tricky but we persist!
      I still enjoy cooking if its what I choose but producing meals has become a chore

      Delete
  6. Witty and droll. The first two sentences had my immediate attention.
    The last sentence is one of the hard truths of life. Everywhere.
    Cooking for a family is a huge chore. Women do it, and single dads, and children caring for a sick parent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, I'm glad you understood my laugh at myself.
      http://ayarnwithgod.blogspot.com/2026/07/founders-day.html?m=1

      Delete
  7. Nothing wrong with low standards as long as they're not doing you any harm. Not much wasted food in our household as Jenny plans the week's meals so scrupulously all the food gets eaten promptly (I do all the washing up in case you're wondering)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take my hat off to anyone who does all the clean up !

      Delete
  8. I had a one sandwich at work at 12 noon each day. And then a pear, mandarin or peach was welcome by 3.30 pm :) Alas I had to retire during Covid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By 3.30, I want a pear, a biscuit and a cuppa but at 3.30 everyone is trying to get everything done for tomorrow :)
      What did you do, Hels?

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.