Well I am sure you all know by now that I took the trip to the funeral.
When things seemed to keep going badly I thought I should have listened to the people here who advised against it but the problems didn't happen because I had been unwell so it was just one of those things.
I drove to Goulburn on Thursday night and as I got into town I had problems with my Google Maps and couldn't find my accommodation. I ended up phoning my daughter for directions and interrupting a night out.
Then I couldn't for the life of me find the cabin in the caravan park. Then there was no handrail on the steps into the cabin so I had to do a strange pull-yourself-up manouvre. What should have been a two hour drive was over three.
In the morning I had a 2.5 hour drive to do but there had been a fatal truck crash and there was a long diversion. I can't complain, I am alive.
The diversion and ongoing navigational difficulties made me forty minutes late for the funeral. Embarassing but in the circumstances punctuality didn't matter.
Grenfell, a town of under 3000, had five funerals last week so there was no accommodation available in town and I stayed at my friend's family home. The first and only time I will see her in her childhood environment. I had always wanted to do that and now I have. I also met her brother, an interesting man.
When I did my silo art tour a couple of years back, I didn't make it to Grenfell so now I have seen the silos, painted by Heesco.
The photo is not mine, I saw the silos at night and forgot to get a daytime photo
The problems made the whole trip feel like I had to use every bit of patience and persistence I have ever developed. It was a test of stamina, for sure but I feel that I was true to my values and I am happy with that.
When I first saw the silo murals in Western Victoria, each one was usually limited to one silo. The photo above shows the artist has spread his art work across 4 adjoining silos. It must have taken quite a bit of time to design the total work and it must have taken a lot of energy to cover all those surfaces.
ReplyDeleteGrenfell did very well indeed.
It's wonderful, isn't it? I think most or all of the silo art I have seen covers two or more silos. How an artist has any sense of perspective on that kind of "canvas" beats me.
DeleteWhat to say, except that the silo art is lovely.
ReplyDeleteFair comment. I want to remember what I did but there's nothing much to say.
DeleteThe silos are lit up at night, it adds an extra dimension