I was watching Reels this morning and there was one talking about cleaning, specifically about cleaning for people 65+
When an Australian turns 65, they are eligible to apply for support services via the government My Aged Care service. The supports offered are determined by the need of the client so being 65+ won't necessarily mean the service will be approved.
In the Reel I viewed this morning, the speaker was saying that many phone and ask for cleaning services the moment they turn 65 and found to be capable and not in need of assistance. Her question was, does age alone qualify a person for subsidised cleaning?
It seems a simple enough question.
Someone said "my mum is 93 and doesn't receive cleaning but paid her taxes etc" Who ever suggested a 93 year old shouldn't receive assistance? I don't think any reasonable person expects a 93 year old (almost 30 years after qualifying age) to do their own cleaning.
What about the tax part? Do we pay taxes so we can automatically have help at 65? do we pay taxes so people who need help can have help? or do we pay taxes because it is required by law and we don't really care at all about helping people?
A support worker commented that she didn't do a year of study to go into the aged care sector to become a cleaner. That's reasonable.
Someone else commented that instead of the focus on cleaning, aged care funding should be assisting people to maintain health so they can stay independent for longer. I have to guess this person might have been suggesting a focus on physiotherapy or mental health support or exercise physiology. Somehow I think it's probably cheaper to pay for cleaning than to pay for allied health professionals and cleaning is more likely to be well received by the older person. There's no point paying for physio if a person won't do their exercises.
Another said that getting cleaners in helps people to get used to the idea of assistance and means there is someone who is checking in regularly and can flag the need for further assistance.
The question of do we give everyone a cleaner at age 65 is really answered by what we are trying to achieve. Is it because we want older to people to live in clean homes? Is it motivated by safety? or more by human rights? Are we trying to relieve people of burdensome chores so they can do other things? Are we trying to reward people for paying into the tax system? Are we trying to actively watch for signs of deterioration?
Australians can't have an age pension before age 67 but can apply for cleaning services at 65. That seems odd.
Very interesting. You have to be disabled here to get any kind of financial assistance for home-help. I am a firm believer in it and when I work out the costs of those aged care homes, vs home care help, home care wins and I do wonder why my government does not see that. Several in my building have died (In advanced age) with the assistance of home care. Devoutly wished by yours truly when my time comes. I think I'd opt for an exit if faced with one of those appalling homes. I have visited many to be less and less enchanted by what I've seen. The lack of privacy is A on my list.
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW
People here have to be disabled, if only by age and frailty, to receive help. That's why some are knocked back.
DeleteWe do a lot of home help here and people can receive packages worth tens of thousands.
The aged care facility i work at tries hard to help people feel it is their home but of course it can't be like your own place.
I have funding for a couple of hours a fortnight, but getting anyone to do it seems impossible. I must try again but it gets quite disheartening. It is mainly my shower that is hard for me. I spread it over several days and someone suggested mopping the base with a normal mop, which was handy to learn. I still can't get a handrail installed, although funded for that too.
ReplyDeleteHi Andrew,
DeleteAvailability of services is a big issue.
I think there should be grab rails in all new buildings, it would save money and hassle but what do I know?
I think the home cleaning service was set up when aged care pensions were still given at age 65. I have a couple of neighbours who have some sort of service, one aged 90 gets cleaning done, but only a very basic level, vacuuming and wiping down the kitchen, it seems the cleaners aren't supposed to do "deep cleaning" so things in the kitchen don't get cleaned if something needs to be moved out of the way, there's no under-and-behind cleaning, it's mostly benchtops and sink. The other is younger, 83, but less able physically and has a carer to help her shower and I think a different person who cleans and puts her bin out weekly. I do know it isn't free, though government subsidised, these women still pay a small fee for the help they get. I don't know how the payment happens, maybe it is sent directly to the cleaning company from their fortnightly pensions.
ReplyDeleteAt 74, I still do my own cleaning but am thinking of asking Housing Trust to install a grab rail in the shower, so it is there whenever I might need it in the future.
I will probably fall off a chair whilst trying to clean. I really need to invest in more pole type cleaning implements. Also, I did my shoulder in lugging the vacuum upstairs - so probably need an upstairs vacuum.
ReplyDeleteI doubt I'd get funded help anytime soon in the UK - and that's fine at the moment.
Sx