Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Generation Gap

 


I'm sure at least some of you are aware of the current cross generational argument: whether is is acceptable to take an iced coffee to a job interview?

For me, the answer is a hard no. I wouldn't go to an interview with a hot coffee, a cold coffee or probably even a water bottle. The water bottle because I grew up in a world where people didn't hydrate every two minutes and I still don't have an emotional support water bottle. I wouldn't take coffee because I just don't think it's appropriate. To be honest, I'm at a level of old lady grouchiness that I am quietly irritated when people stroll in to church (less formal than an initerview) slurping coffee. 

I asked my son (who has been on interview panels) what he would think of a candidate showing up with an iced coffee and he looked at me like the dinosaur I am and told me it's all about the right fit for the role. 

I have never been interviewer, just interviewee, so I can't say if an iced coffee would be a deal breaker but it definitely would be part of my overall impression.

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

go on, leave a comment or four.