Tuesday 16 September 2008

The Slippery Slope

Yesterday at work it became clear that someone on my team (that is the team I work with, not manage) had made a mistake. It was a small mistake, not dangerous, not costly, not even particularly embarrassing. We don't know exactly what happened or exactly who did it , just that it was.
The dominant people on the team were understandably but not justifiably, concerned that the mistake would get them in trouble. They decided that the paperwork should be re-written. I write the page in question so it fell to me to do the re-writing.
Without meaning to do anything wrong, without thinking too much, with my only intention being to support my team, I re-wrote the page. I didn't consider that the best way to support my team was not the immediately obvious way and essentially, I lied.
It was only later that I realised what had happened.
Fortunately for me someone else noticed the discrepancy, I admitted to stupidity and the matter was resolved with my dignity and integrity (somewhat) intact.
Today I learned an old lesson in a fresh way: The first step on the slippery slope might be more like a stumble and it would do us all well to be compassionate before we ever judge because the road to hell surely is paved with good intentions.

11 comments:

  1. I read somewhere, many years ago, that the only REAL mistake is one from which we learn nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi baby. I learned something today from you. Thank you. I also learned something from David. You know me by now...I am so imperfect, so learning is a good thing! Love you, and beautiful post. Yes, beautiful.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. david,
    thanks. i think there is great truth in that statement
    good to see you here
    k

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there suze,
    you're in very good company with your imperfection! look at me...i expertly put feet in mouth and do all kinds of other dumb things :)

    in reference to your comment about my nice proportions, thanks but i think that picture was a bit misleading. i'm almost straight up and down, very androgenous but i'm good with that.

    these days i dont so often look at my kids and think that we made them but i do look on them with pride, with wonder, with a laugh...

    they're a joy. sometimes.

    jeez, thats the closest you'll hear to me rhapsodising....

    love
    k

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone makes a mistake but you will not be making that one again. Good for you to be able to blog it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Special,

    I think it's good to make mistakes - I encourage my students not to be afraid of making mistakes, because if mistakes are never made, learning will never happen. I tell them about my mistakes in learning Japanese, but they are things that I have never forgotten, and I remember the correct way to speak! These kinds of things happen in life, as everybody knows - glad you were able to come out of the other side sweetie-kins,

    love ya hun,
    Peej xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kylie,
    Hope your day has turned out alot better than the other day.
    I have't anything to add to this than to say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks maggie

    and jo

    and peej

    you know what they say "if you've never made a mistake you've never made anything"

    ReplyDelete
  9. "the road to hell surely is paved with good intentions."


    yeah, i like it....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey you. That's the most long winded you've ever been on a comment page. I'll take it and wear it with pride. It's our anniversary you know. I love you. Really. I do.

    XO Suze

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear that you are bit under the weather! I just popped in to say hello!
    Things are coming along, some days better than others but mostly good days! Treatments are coming along. Seeing life in a new light this time around. More focused and enjoying everything! Come by and say hello when you feel up to it!
    Hugs,
    RObyn

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.