Saturday 7 March 2009

Love in the Time of Cholera


oh boy am i tired!

but the mob across the road have a party going on so i might as well just do a quick little post....
I was given a copy of the book "Love in the Time of Cholera" (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) for Christmas so read it just a few weeks back and I was delighted to see the movie adaptation available for rent a couple of weeks ago.
I didn't imagine for a second that the film could capture the essence of the book but, for the first time ever, I think I can say that it did.
And what a delight it was. It was aesthetically exquisite and of course, for a die hard, insufferable, unrepentant romantic such as myself, the story is pretty darned good as well.
If you don't know the story it is one of grand passion, frustrated first by parental disapproval, then by youth and circumstance, for 51 years.
I wonder, could I wait 51 years to be with my soul mate? Could I then wait another 2 years to consummate the relationship? Is it an act of madness to imagine and to write such a story? is it the madness and the bravery in writing such a thing that earned Gabriel Garcia Marquez a Nobel prize?

12 comments:

  1. Aww, thank you for this review. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a brilliant read- thanks for the recommendation. Another film which excelled the book was 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'- but a sombre subject.

    As for waiting 51 years to be with your soulmate? Wow! there's hope for some us yet then!

    BTW- just seen your dress- it's delightful- have you worn it yet?

    BTW also- I'm not really a paranoid emo- all you OLFs have made me feel very welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kylie,

    YES! It was a beautiful story. I liked the way that they tweaked the story in the film version of it. I read the book first, and liked it, but loved the movie version. What powerful writing!

    Best wishes,

    Skeeter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, interesting. I hardly ever appreciate the film version of a book. I will now not only read the book, I'll watch the film.

    Thanks for this one Kylie (and Skeeter!) XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. A box of Kleenex is needed for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I have to confess to being just a bit of a snob about movies made from books I loved or even liked--usually I don't see them. I loved the Marquez book, but because you recommended the movie I might actually see it! I respect you that much and I'm not kidding! I'll report back and let you know. But I must say that it looks great...

    don't hate me too much for my snobbery...

    ReplyDelete
  7. karen!
    either the book or the film are good. i hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cinnamon,
    yes, it's a good one. did i see somewhere that you have read 100 years of solitude?
    maybe i will try to get hold of that one....
    i wear the dress reasonably often, i decided not to keep it for special occasions because they are few and far between so it gets a bit of an airing, it would get more if i didnt have to hand wash it!

    not for a minute did we think you were paranoid.

    have a great day
    k

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi skeeter,
    did you think the film showed Fermina in a softer light?
    it was lovely and right up your alley, i would imagine. you read in spanish dont you?
    did you ?
    if you did, does that add to the experience?

    cheers
    k

    ReplyDelete
  10. suzie,
    yep, the film is usually the shadow of the book but this was good. did you notice i said delightful twice?
    shoddy writing but it was (delightful)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. cece,
    i seem to be losing the crying thing, not even a sniffle!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey leah!
    i dont hate the snobbery because i'm the same!

    i really hope you like the film or i'll lose all credibility :)

    talking of snobbery, the other day somebody recommended i see a musical put on by an amateur group, they told me how good the group are and how much cheaper than the big shows. i have seen this group once and they are good but i later said to someone that amateur productions should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the professional stuff.

    yep. i'm a snob

    have fun
    k

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.