Friday 25 April 2014

One Christian's Conscience on ~ Asylum Seekers


I am human. I fear the unknown as much as anybody does, I understand the perception that asylum seekers will drain social security benefits, I understand the fear that "they" will take "our" jobs, I understand that "they" look different, that "they" often practice a different religion and eat odd things and wear funny clothes and worship on Fridays. I get it. "They" are not like us.

Only, "they" are exactly like us. "They" want to live their lives in peace and safety, "they" want to be free from persecution, "they" don't want to be hacked to death with a machete or blown to bits by a bomb or denied education, medical care and citizenship because they were born in the wrong place, at the wrong time. They hurt as we do, they hope and wish and fail and disappoint and worry and hunger and celebrate. As we do.

If logic isn't enough to motivate me there is always direct instruction:

Matthew 25

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Christians are not immune to the fears and propaganda machines of the world, I make no judgement on those who don't naturally want to welcome everyone with open arms but Christian obedience works in a similar way to the secular maxim "Fake it 'til you make it", sooner or later Grace takes over and we realise that the threat was only ever imaginary, that blessing results from sharing and that God honours those who put love first.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the work you do with asylum seekers. The way we treat them, and have treated them for some time shames and angers me.
    With the exception of royalty, all of us have the same colour blood.
    And faced with the circumtances many of these people are fleeing I would do anything to escape too. And instead of safety we offer torture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EC
    i know a few people who are concerned and active on the subject but the attitude i hear expressed most often is not a kind one. I am encouraged to know that there are people like you.

    Good will prevail but the cost in the meantime is disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend tpo go more to the Buddhist on this issue:

    The Dali Lama walked in a sandwich shop and said; "Make me one with everything."

    ReplyDelete
  4. walking man,
    i dont mind which way people reach their conclusion, so long as it is a compassionate one :)

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.