Friday 3 March 2017

Time Warp

Today was the World Day of Prayer. It is an annual, international event and each year it is hosted by a different church in my area. This year it was our turn to host and I was asked to do a reading, which was probably my pastor's way of getting me to attend.
It was raining cats and dogs this morning, Liam had been out late the night before so he asked his sister for a lift to the station, she was then running late and asked me for a lift, that made me not late but rushing a little and of course all of Sydney was giving people a lift so the traffic was insane.

I arrived at church slightly late for the 10am morning tea, carrying my offering of a supermarket carrot cake. My laissez faire attitude was in stark contrast to the lace cloths and "formal" table settings of the morning tea (can paper plates be formal?) and I got a little shock as I walked in to a room full of very elderly ladies, sitting at tables with a variety of cakes, sandwiches and sausage rolls all laid down the centre. I don't think I have sat at a table for anything but a full meal for about 20 years!
There was no way of serving my cake without disrupting the existing set-up so I brought it home again. It's a pretty bad cake, I'm not sure if bringing it home was actually a good thing.


The Order of Service

12 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was such a day.
    And suspect you were wrong about the reason your pastor invited you to speak. Perhaps because you exemplify compassion might have been closer to the mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH EC, you overestimate me but I'm pleased that somebody does!

      Delete
  2. I am glad you were part of the service. I go to a rather large church and can't imagine doing anything other than sitting close to the back and singing in a low voice.
    Since there was no way to serve the cake without disrupting things I think the best thing to do was take it home. You kept someone else from having to pitch it or make some other decision about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been left for Sunday's morning tea when it's dry and boringness could have been distributed among the congregation.

      Delete
  3. It is odd that when we have some important date to keep, other emergencies crop up and delay us! It happens quite often to me I can assure you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great test of our commitment to the task at hand!

      Delete
  4. I've never had the confidence to read a passage out at church, but my partner was an elder for 4 years.

    Are cakes and sausage rolls typical morning tea food? Here in the UK that would be more suitable for afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your reading is equal or better than half the other people!

      The question of typical morning tea food makes me stop, I think we eat anything at any time although I think the general trend would be away from cakes and sausage rolls toward something healthier. What would you eat at morning tea?

      Delete
  5. It's always embarrassing to turn up to something with an offering that doesn't seem quite appropriate. Other people are always impeccably polite about your faux pas but you know they're secretly ticking you off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The offering would have been appropriate if not especially remarkable except for the fact it was a little late. I was not helped by the fact that the organiser does everything wayyyy in advance

      Delete
  6. I pray that next year you will bake a fluffy Victoria sponge cake with raspberry jam and cream in the middle. And I pray that the elderly ladies will gasp at the delicious beauty of your creation. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They keep telling me God answers our prayers, they also tell me he answers in the way that is best for us.
      He's gonna say no

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.