Monday 22 October 2018

Crisis averted

A few weeks ago I received an email requesting a special morning tea for this Thursday. The occasion being a farewell to a colleague who will be taking up a three year overseas placement.
The only specification given was to have a cake. For past "special" morning teas we had scones and a fruit platter or sausage rolls added the normal fare.
My super market order came in today, including two unfilled sponge cakes as well as the makings of a filling. (lemon curd, cream cheese and blueberries)
My colleague Madge saw the sponges and enquired about what they were for so I explained and the lemon filling was given the tick of approval.
Later in the day though, she started asking why the budget wouldn't stretch to a catered morning tea.
In my innocence, I thought that "catered" was Madge speak for fancier and made a mental note to add some more items to the menu.
I was summoned quietly by the closest colleagues of our departing friend, they told me they wanted to be nice to their boss and went on to offer to order and pick up a large variety of sandwiches, quiches and fritters. One offered to make a fruit platter.
I was starting to realise that I had vastly underestimated this event and commented that I had no idea it was such a big deal.
"It kinda is" was the loaded reply.

I am still going to prepare my sponge but it won't be the centrepiece I expected.
Thank heavens they pulled me into line. The normal cheese, fruit, cake and cracker selection might have seen everyone fade away before lunch!

16 comments:

  1. I am so glad. And hope you enjoy the morning tea too. Lemon curd and blueberries sounds blissful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be trying to nab a large piece of cake!

      Delete
  2. I prefer lemon curd in a bowl to be eaten with a spoon. Oh, the rest can have anything they want except for the lemon curd.

    Have someone take photos of the tracking on your rear to be used to identify your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon curd in a bowl! why have I never thought of that?

      Your photo suggestion made me laugh

      Delete
  3. It's too bad someone hadn't mentioned what was involved with "a special morning tea" when they asked in the first place. I very much dislike feeling inadequate when in fact the original instructions are what's lacking! There, I've had my crank for today :)

    The thought of those filled sponge cakes really has my mouth watering. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would usually be irritated but this just makes me laugh. I report directly to the head of the college and I suspect her underplaying the situation was meaningful in some way not related to me.

      Delete
  4. So a little mixed up communication. It ended well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I made clear that I think the whole thing is pretty funny. First world issues 😊😊

      Delete
  5. Saved by the bell! I can understand the relief you would have felt after the message was received!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am relieved and I'm especially pleased I don't have to make the fruit platter! The biggest thing I learned was that I am more powerful than I thought.

      Delete
  6. Yes, "a special morning tea" is extremely ambiguous, and some further explanation would have been helpful. The sponge cake filling sounds wonderful. It's amazing how complicated these leaving dos can get once people start fretting over the appropriate food and drink, appropriate presents etc. Still, I can't complain, when I left my last and final job, I was given a £200 hotel voucher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got lucky! I'm still waiting for my fond farewell

      Delete
  7. What do these people think you are Kylie? A mind reader? Or maybe they're just being diplomatic and not wanting to encroach on your territory.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my boss was happy to leave it to me but the others are invested in a good feed. Maybe?

      Delete
  8. Live and learn! How many cakes were there in the end?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.