Friday 25 February 2022

At the discount food market....

 I dont think I have ever explained how the food market works, forgive me if I repeat myself. The shop itself is in a small room at the back of the church. Covid restrictions and logistics only allow a small number of people in the shop at one time, so people are given a number when they arrive and sit in the church hall to wait their turn. My Salvation Army polo shirt identifies me as "staff" but clients approach me as though I was another shopper, which suits me.

On this day I was sitting alone at a table when a woman decided to join me. She had a mask on and had added a large sun visor and sun glasses. She was so well covered that it reminded me of a cartoon character in disguise.

When I asked how she was going, she started saying a lot of overtly religious things about gratitude and giving thanks to God. I felt as though maybe she thought this kind of thing would impress me. As the fairly one-sided conversation went on I was trying to figure out how to respond, or if I should respond at all. Was she mentally ill? eccentric? ill at ease?

As we sat, a woman in a large electric wheelchair came in and was introduced to us. The woman appeared to have had a stroke and was articulate but needed patience as she converted ideas to speech.

After a small amount of small talk, the woman in the hat made a long and rambling disclaimer, she talked about Oprah and accident victims, wars and brain injuries then finally asked the question we knew was coming: what had happened to the wheelchair user?

As our friend "Belinda" worked to get words, the curious one interrupted. Words tumbled all over and Belinda would wait for her chance to speak. She would try to say something and be interrupted again.

After a few attempts she succeeded "I took drugs and I died"

What do you mean? the questioner spluttered.

"I took drugs and I died"

The message wasn't getting through.

I sensed that Belinda might have been enjoying this by now and watched as she repeated herself for the third time.

Eventually, I intervened and said "I guess it was an overdose"

"Heroin" came the confirmation.

We talked a little and then the questioner told Belinda that if she worked hard, she could make further steps to recovery. That hit a sore spot with me and I asserted that some people never fully recover, no matter how hard they work.

Belinda's speech difficulties were not apparent when she managed to shoot out a very clear "Some people are nosey" 

The questioner was the personification of "ruffled feathers" and rushed off when her number was called.


16 comments:

  1. I suspect I would like Belinda very much! I'm reading the book Dopesick at the moment and the description of the opiod epiod epidmic is horrendous, with so many not even knowing they were in the process of getting hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, should have proof read "opiod epidemic"!

      Delete
    2. She had a lovely glint in her eye. I'm disappointed I haven't seen her again

      Delete
  2. I just cannot bear people like the hat lady! I am glad Belinda gave the hat lady her comeuppance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As she said, some people are nosy. I suppose it just doesn't occur to them that not everyone is willing to explain such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's all in the timing, Nick. It's not acceptable to ask those kinds of questions until there is a level of trust and respect

      Delete
    2. Nick - such as how family members died! :-)
      Sx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. She was gutsy and funny. I hope I see her sgain

      Delete
  5. I simply cannot understand why people cannot respect others' privacy. This entire interaction was unnecessary and even rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman in question was so rude, I think she might have had something wrong. A brain injury? Learning disorder? It's hard to say

      Delete
  6. There are, it seems to me, some very strange people around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are! It keeps me interested

      Delete
  7. I've often wanted to say what Belinda did :D

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.