Thursday 28 December 2023

Betwixtmas Update




We didn't get to go on the train. The night before we were due to leave, I knew I was not well but I hoped that I had a mild dose of covid and would feel well enough to get on the train. The prospect of infecting the whole train also crossed my mind.

As it happened, I had far from what I'd call a mild case. I haven't been sick enough for hospital or anything but I did sleep a full 36 hours, only waking up to drink and go to the toilet. After the first 36 hours I still slept about 16 hours a day until Christmas.

I don't have the energy or clarity to do anything much and I'm glad it's five more days before I'm due back at work.

We're hoping to reschedule the trip but the majority of this year's Sydney- Perth crossings are well booked already and neither Caitlin or I are positive about having leave approved again any time soon so it might be something we have to look forward to :)

 I was asked to go to Cairns on a flood relief trip but I had to say no. They are expecting to have recovery centres open for the next month so if I recover well and all the ducks line up, I might manage it in 2-3 weeks time. I've said before that all of Australia is on holiday for all of January and I'm only exaggerating a teensy bit. It will be very hard to get enough volunteers to provide good services in Cairns.

I did have a nice Christmas, the family worked hard to ensure we had delicious food and I didn't lift a finger except  to clean the toilet before the lunchers arrived! 



16 comments:

  1. I am glad it was no worse than it was, although it sounds pretty gruesome. Okay, I am wondering who all the people are. I am glad you had help. I sent you a Christmas card much too late. Next year, I will try to get it out before Halloween...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to let you know when the card arrives!
      So, starting at the bottom left, taking the photo, is daughter Caitlin. Then clockwise we have my older twin Briony, my mum and dad, sons Liam and Keaghan, me, Caitlin's boyfriend Brendan and Lima's wife, Catherine.

      Delete
  2. I am so very sorry about your train trip and hope you CAN reschedule. On my my nephews visiting his family with his newish wife for the first time in years tested positive for Covid on Christmas Day. He and the rest of the family want to visit as soon as he tests negative. Since both himself and I are classified as vulnerable I am reluctant.
    I do hope that you can get to Cairns. They will need all the help they can get - and I suspect that is something you value being able to do.
    Healing wishes and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just before I got sick I sat at a dinner with a vulnerable older lady. Somehow she escaped it but i was nervous. Despite the current lack of restrictions, its very disruptive and unpleasant.
      Maybe you could see family outdoors? Or maybe it's not worth it.
      Relief work, is one of my favourite things but it's demanding so I'll cross my fingers that I recover faster than I am right now

      Delete
    2. I hope to be able to pass. Outside is usually too hot for me at the moment (give us this day our daily whinge).
      Relief work/voluntary work IS demanding. I will join you in crossing my fingers tightly that you recover quickly.

      Delete
  3. Oh sorry to hear you had covid, from what I've been hearing it's hitting people quite hard this time. I'm glad you still enjoyed Christmas though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey. I got it at just the right time to be improving for Christmas and I'm happy about that

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that covid came calling to you. I hope you have a rapid and full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red. It's my second time but this was worse by far

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you were so poorly, but glad you recovered in time to enjoy Christmas day. I hope you are feeling much better now. Very best wishes for a happy and healthy 2024

    ReplyDelete
  6. A shame you had to cancel the Perth trip after looking forward to it for so long. With luck you'll be able to rearrange it later on. Looks like the covid infection was pretty severe, but hopefully it'll clear up quickly. Have a fabulous 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working around three timetables gets complicated, Nick. Hopefully we'll make it work

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about the bloody COVID and how hard it hit you - spoiling your cross country plans. I hope you were able to get your money back. I love the picture of your happy Christmas table and your colourful shirt and glasses. Thanks for sharing this image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      We're waiting on an insurance claim. Time will tell.
      Thanks for noticing my shirt, it's got "Surfing Santa" on it :)

      Delete
  8. Oh I was telling my daughter about your train trip. I am so disappointed for you and Covid and variants and other contagions are everywhere. It's so disheartening. I am so very sorry this happened to you. It kicks the steam out of us when plans are thwarted. Health restoration please!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.