Tuesday 5 March 2024

A Reading Holiday

It's getting towards bed time and I'm a bit too lazy to write a good post but I also don't want to stop blogging completely so I'll post some photos from our "reading weekend"
I'm distractible, very distractible, but I like to think of myself as a reader so I thought that if I went away somewhere I might read a book. Briony said she'd love to come with me.
When we told Liam this plan he guffawed with laughter. You two? go away for a weekend and read?

Well, he was right. I didn't take my book out of my bag.

The cabin we stayed in was on a property where a lot of  "critters" are kept as pets. We fed the Clydesdales and the donkey, watched the geese run about, heard all about the miniature steers, watched the camels and met the resident doggo.

How was I going to read with such a variety of adorable characters?

We also moseyed around the village of Kurrajong, watched a movie and chatted listened to our host, JOhn who was quite eccentric and quite the raconteur. We also enjoyed a few episodes of "Goggle box" which we used to watch together in less busy times. Watching Goggle box was a nice nostalgia trip 





I'm not sure if this was Heckle or Jekyll. It was one of them.




Pebbles was abused earlier in life and doesn't usually let anyone near her. 
We must have passed her test.




Can birds murmurate on foot or only on the wing? 




Briony took all the good photos and Pebbles was her favourite so we have a few photos of the old girl.



John said that if we came back, he'd take us out on a sulky pulled by the Clydesdales. It's very tempting.


 

17 comments:

  1. Did you get my email saying that I was back on Practical Parsimony blog? Loved the card. I will be back later for another comment or maybe three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I did, I've been over for a quick read. I'm glad you're back!

      Delete
  2. That's funny, that you took a book with the best of intentions but never even opened it! I can see why, with all those adorable animals (and geese) wandering around. Liam obviously knows you very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was probably deluded even coming up with the idea but it was a good kind of deluded

      Delete
  3. You can always read, but you can't always enjoy cute critters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute animals. Reading or not, it sounds like a fun time away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a matter of choices. Some things are better than books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's me, rhymeswithplague. What a great post! You may have missed your calling. Perhaps you should have been a photographer of animals because those are phenomenal. I can almost feel their breath. And they oviously connected with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert,
      My daughter took the photos and I passed along your generous compliments because she deserves it!

      Delete
  7. Somehow your posts are not showing in my reader until about 24hrs after you publish. I might have to unsubscribe and redo it.
    Your reading weekend sounds like many organised craft weekends that involve much talking and very very little crafting. Not often you look out the door and see hearses and cows so save your pennies and take another trip out there. A sulky pulled by cart horses would be something to see (and experience)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that should be *horses and cows- not sure where the hearses came from

      Delete
    2. Hi Cathy,
      Connection would seem to be a priority over craft and reading 😀
      You make a great point about having an experience like that...

      Delete
  8. Instead of reading books perhaps you could write your own book - inspired by your trip to the rural cabin... "Pebbles And The Great Escape" about how a couple of crazy women from Sydney kidnapped an abused donkey called Pebbles and brought her back in their car to live in the suburbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't write fiction which leaves no option but to kidnap Pebbles!

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.