Monday 21 January 2019

Simple pleasures

I have barely watched TV in many many years: (though I remember a period of school holidays when we binge watched Dexter to the point of starvation) First there were tiny people to look after and any watching was bound to be interrupted, then there was so much competition for the remote that I thought it was better not to have expectations than to have them dashed.
Suddenly, there is a lot less competition, the students are on holidays so there's more help in the house and I have time to watch whatever takes my fancy. I even spent New Years eve eating cheese and cherries, sipping on grape juice and watching tv!

"The Casketeers" (netflix) is a six part series about a New Zealand funeral business, the owner of the company Francis, is hilarious....and soft hearted .....and pedantic. I want him to look after my earthly remains.

"Sex Education" (netflix) is a marvellous series, most likely designed for teenagers but thoroughly watchable for my middle aged-ness. The drama includes teens of all backgrounds trying to navigate schol, boyfriends, girlfriends, parties, sex and celibacy. It would be a wonderful starting point for conversation with a young person who is wanting answers. Or with the emphasis on relationship quality and taking steps as they feel comfortable, it might even give them the answers they need. I really enjoyed this one.

"Back Roads" (ABC iview) looks at Australian country towns, meets some of the local characters, teases out the unique strengths and challenges of each community and shows some great footage of this wide brown land. The elderly female host of the show rides tractors and sleeps in very basic accomodation, her hair is usually messy and she is far from the gorgeous, highly groomed women we see so often on TV. She is also chatty and warm and charming.

House of Flowers (netflix) was a modern, Spanish language version of the Bold and the Beautiful, enjoyable for it's stupidity and fashion (and please correct me if I should compare it to something else! My pool of reference is small!)

What have you been watching?

23 comments:

  1. I never acquired the television habit. I see pieces of all sorts of things as himself plays St Vitus Dance with the remote.
    The Casketeers sounds as if it could be up my alley though. And Back Roads.
    Have fun watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would love back roads but that might mean a fight for the remote....

      Delete
  2. I love a good binging show. I saw the ads fr sex education but figured I was so far out of the demo that I could ignore it. Looks like I might need to give it a try. I put shows on my Ipad and listen more than watch as I move room to room doing chores

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have enjoyed sex education because I watched with my kids. If you do see an episode I'd be interested to hear what you think.
      I can't listen without watching! Your way is much more efficient

      Delete
  3. I'm like the first part of your life. I do not watch one minute of TV per year. Sometimes I worry about this. Then again I think, What am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think I must have missed some really good TV and then I remind myself it's just entertainment!
      None of us can take every opportunity ever.

      Cycling is healthier anyway

      Delete
  4. I rarely watch and that too only news when something important to me is happening. I prefer to read for pastime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a reader once but I can't resist the interaction of the internet (of course I read a lot online but it's usually shorter and less demanding than a book)

      Delete
  5. Don't have teevee but do watch good series on Netflix. Currently watching Schitt's Creek which I had avoided (thought it would be slapstick a type of comedy I don't like) until reading a New Yorker article about it and I am binging it. Loved "This is Us" and "The Bodyguard" on Netflix. Hated the much overblown "Bird Box". So there you have it :) I'd also love to see The Casketeers.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem that schitts Creek is a winner! Maybe I'll try it

      Delete
  6. I've seen the title "Sex Education" on Netflix but haven' t got to it yet - truth be told I don't want my daughter to know I was watching something sexy haha. Right now I'm watching Ozark which is amazing and recently finished 6 seasons of Homeland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids enjoyed Ozark but I missed it and I tend not to watch alone.
      If it helps you to feel better about watching "sexy" stuff, sex education is full of, I mean packed with, utter bedroom fails. Which is another reason to like it

      Delete
  7. The only thing I watch these days is Schitt's Creek (a Canadian production) and I watch it online. It is funny, sweet, campy - and the characters are entrancing and unique. I stopped watching TV when my husband reached a certain loss of hearing because he couldn't hear it if the volume was too low and I couldn't stand the noise! (he also had the remote and a bad habit of jumping all around the channels)

    I don't think my habit of spending time online is any worse or better than TV; it's all just entertainment. I do read a lot more news than I ever watched on TV though, there's that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, online entertainment is all what you make it, just like TV. And these days the lines are very blurry anyway

      Delete
  8. I laughed out loud at your description of Heather Ewart as the elderly host of Backtracks.
    I don't think of her as elderly at all. Just depends where you sit in the age rankings I guess. After I read your post I found an article on line where she had been interviewed about that program. A good article with more info about her journalistic background.

    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alphie,
      I didn't really want to call her elderly but she's past middle age..?
      The point is she's not a young glamour :)
      I must have a google for the article you refer to

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm a TV addict, and I am trying to cut down! I watch a lot of Drama.... and zombie gore. I think I watch to avoid the news, and I love stories. Anyhow, to cut down on TV I read a book at the weekend, and that's a problem - once I pick up a book I am lost from people for hours on end, and reading could potentially turn out to be more expensive than Netflix if I read a book every weekend!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are a lot more expensive than netflix!
      TV drama is great. I don't blame you for being addicted :)

      Delete
  11. I like my relationship with television to be slightly distant. Far too many people are obsessed with TV viewing in my humble opinion. However, last evening I watched a programme about a Canadian family who live miles from anywhere in the wilderness surrounded by trees. The host was a fellow called Ben Fogle. I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are some gems on tv, it's like everything else: good servant, bad master

      Delete
  12. I wouldn't be without my television and, living alone, I can watch what I want or, more to the point, I don't have to watch unless I do want to. I regard myself as a discerning viewer. However many might have very different views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tv can open all kinds of doors for us and now that so much is available online, it's extra easy to be discerning

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.