Sunday 27 January 2019

The Wild Ones

I have probably mentioned here at some point that my maiden name was Jurd. I've heard it said ( I can't remember where) that the Jurds were Judds until there was a spelling error in a registry somewhere and so a new family was born. These registry error stories can be interesting and I'm pretty sure most families would have one, after all it's not so many generations ago that the majority of us were illiterate. 

My mother-in-law was born to Chinese immigrants in Malaysia 12 months after the Japanese invasion which of course was the beginning of the Pacific War. Her father went to register her birth and when asked the name of the child he stumbled and replied with her gender. Her official name has forever more been "a girl" although of course she is known by the name her family intended, which is Sophia to me and Xiu Zhen for Chinese speakers.
Anyways, I only added that story because I like it and it might be of interest to my children and grandchildren at some point.

Funnily enough, an interesting story from my Jurd history has been passed on by my mum (who was not a Jurd but a Keane). 

Mum's dentist told her that as a young boy growing up in country New South Wales, he attended boarding school with a boy by the name of something-or-other Jurd. The Jurd boy and the dentist would catch the train to their respective towns for weekends but the early train didn't actually stop where  young Jurd needed to alight and not wanting to wait for a later train he had devised a system...

The guard would be asked if the train could slow at the appropriate station and young Jurd would throw his suitcase out the door. It would start sliding along the gravel platform and our protagonist hero would leap from the train to land on the suitcase. The last our dentist friend would see of his mate each holiday was a gravel surfing wild thing!

My best guess puts this story at about 100 years old or up to about 110 years, the same approximate point in history when my own great- grandfather Jurd was becoming a minister in the Salvation Army. 

In those days Australia was a brand new nation and the Salvation Army was  full of newly Christian "wild colonial boys". I have always imagined my great-grandfather to be a staid and respectable "man of the cloth" but on reflection I realise that someone, somewhere probably has a story to tell about that wild young Jurd who went off and inexplicably joined the Sally Army!







24 comments:

  1. I can quite understand how the fairly clipped 'Judd' would translate to 'Jurd' once an Australian or other drawl had pronounced it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of change through accent but it seems obvious now you say it!

      Delete
  2. Old stories are so wonderful when we see another side of a staid old ancestor. Love the suitcase gliding Sally-er.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing that would have my heart in my mouth!

      Delete
  3. My maiden name was supposedly shortened and changed on Ellis Island when my great grandfather immigrated. It might be true or maybe just family folklore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very likely to be true, it happened a lot.

      Delete
  4. Love that mental image of the suitcase slide.
    And I am a big fan of family stories. They all, (both the tall and the true) have a story to tell about who we are, how we see ourselves, and the people we want to be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was interested that it wasn't a family member who passed it on but as you say, it probably says something about me that I have appropriated it!

      Delete
  5. Many Europeans ended up in Canada. they spoke little or no English and thee were few translators so many things were mixed up. A look at the early censuses shows some wildly different spellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the story of migration. Here in Australia (and I'm sure it happens elsewhere) we have many spellings of the same Chinese names. Wong and Ng are the same. Low and Law

      Delete
  6. What a great story from your mum's dentist! I wonder if the gravel-surfing Jurd was a water surfer as well? It seems like he must have had some idea it would work!

    The only story passed down from either side of my family is this one: my grandfather's mother died when he was born, and his father's father who lived with them was very abusive toward him, so his aunt and HER father "stole" him and raised him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty cool story to be passed down! And good on them for saving the little fella.

      Miss London tells the story of stealing a baby for the sake of his welfare and she did it in the 1990s. It beggars belief

      Delete
  7. I wish I could find out more about the family tales that I've been told - I get the feeling that some of them have changed, perhaps elaborated upon, whilst being passed on - bit like Chinese Whispers!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a little disappointing if they hadn't gained anything over time, I think

      Delete
  8. Great tale about the case surfing Judd/Jurd, even though the trains at that time would have been slower I'm sure he would have been no stranger to gravel rash!
    On the subject of misnaming, I knew a young Vietnamese girl who arrived here with her family maybe 20 years ago. All three sisters now have the same first name, Nguyen. Their surname for each girls is different due to an error in transcription from the Vietnamese naming structure. Yes, their surnames are their first names. We've had Vietnamese people migrating here since the seventies and Immigration still couldn't get it right.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody knows that Nguyen is the Vietnamese version of Smith! and who on earth would call three daughters by the same name? sometimes brains need to be better engaged!

      Delete
  9. Very interesting stories about your surname and your mother in law's. In India due to English being used for Indian language names, many aberrations take place. I once was advised to seek the assistance of a Miss Page when needed in a new office. I duly did only to be told that there was no one by that name and on investigation I found that her name was Pagay whereas I was asking for a Page as in a page in a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure India has endless issues like this due to the multiple languages used and non-standardised nomenclature. Fascinating and frustrating all at once!

      Delete
  10. My parents had just lost a 6 year old daughter when I was born. We were all born at home so my dad had to walk up the street to register my birth (I was number 7). When the midwife came in to check on my mom she said she hoped she wasn't disappointed at having a boy as she knew she wanted another girl. Mom said "I didn't have a boy, I had a girl", to which the (new to my mom) midwife said "no, your husband registered a boy". So dad had to trot back off and get the sex changed (not sure how he did that)! When my second son was born here in Geneva I registered him at the British Consulate. When I got his birth certificate back LUCKILY I checked it and they had his dob down as 21 May when it was in fact 31 May. They apologized profusely and went off to change it. Then, 5 minutes later they came back with his British passport which again, LUCKILY, I checked, and yep they had him down as "female". The lady at the desk was furious as these had (apparently) been checked by 3 people!! All I can say is it must have been a Friday afternoon. But I am so glad I caught both these things as I don't think it would be so easy to get them corrected after the event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine I would be making mistakes about all sorts of things after a loss and a birth close together!

      I find the bureaucratic errors with your son's documents less understandable, three people checking obviously didn't check too well!

      Delete
  11. I have no amusing stories about my very ordinary family name, Rogers. My brother in law's family name is Hemp, which has no doubt attracted a few predictable jokes. My mother's pre-marriage name was Newcomb, which comes from newcomer. I often wonder who was originally the newcomer, what or where to, and why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there are amusing tales in your background, Nick but if your family are not storytellers you wouldn't have heard them

      Delete
  12. That's a great story! I've been working on family history for years and the name mistakes are abundant! On my grandfather's attestation records from WW1 he was asked for his wife's name which he stated was Ida Belle. It was recorded as Isobel. I have recently been researching a fellow whose last name is Dusenbury - I have found it spelt in at least 10 different ways. Makes research difficult but kind of fun at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard enough to figure out family history without multiple spellings of a name! I think that's why people love the research, though isn't it, the challenge?

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.