Monday 24 January 2022

It's a kind of sport

 Just a week or two ago I suddenly had a hankering for a new quilt cover for my bed. Why this sudden obsession came about, I don't know. I've had the same collection of quilts and blankets for more than 20 years and always been perfectly happy with them.

I decided to browse the second hand linen on Marketplace because, you know I don't need new stuff and I don't want to be an over consumer but a change would be nice and if I could get something second hand, I could justify that.

I looked and found dated things:



there were a lot of "not me at all" things:


new masquerading as second hand:


And then I saw it, the thing I didn't know I wanted, a yellow and grey, reversible, leopardish print quilt cover:


It was still available. I offered them a lower price (the world is swimming in unwanted textiles, they are deluded if they think they will get much money for it) 

They didn't answer.

Oh well, maybe I'll hear back in a week when they decide they would prefer to take my money over hauling it to a charity bin.

If I don't hear back, that's ok. The urge to have new linen will probably dissipate and if not, there's always more available

14 comments:

  1. I like it. Hopefully, you will hear back in the affirmative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does have charm and looks very, very, snuggly. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I hope you get it. Once I have found a cover that I really like I tend to use it until it's worn out or some other disaster befalls it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Indian subcontinent produces some wonderful textiles and I have always had a hankering for a large Indian throw to cast over our quilt... but I have never got round to doing anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Used bed linen sells well on ebay. I hope they accept your offer and that set is on your bed very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange craving to suddenly develop. I hope that you get the one that took your fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get cravings like that. Last year it was new pillows.
    Anyhow, I hope your offer is accepted and you'll soon be cuddling up with a new quilt cover.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crossing my fingers that you get that quilt - it's just my kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PP,
    Thank you! they are taking their time.....

    EC,
    Nothing ever looks as good at my place as it does in the photo but since it looks amazing there's room to move

    Graham,
    I keep everything forever. I could probably sell my old one as "vintage"

    YP,
    You really should, Indian fabrics are amazing. I have a hand block printed bedspread I use as a tablecloth, it's been at every family event ever, probably the only thing I have that might qualify as an heirloom

    ReplyDelete
  10. LL cool Joe,
    It's the last thing I would expect to sell well on ebay but you're the expert.

    Ramana,
    It is a strange thing to fixate on. Other people would renovate the whole house, I buy a quilt cover :)

    Ms Scarlet,
    Your cushions look fabulous and a change is as good as a holiday.

    Treaders,
    Thank you! It's not my usual style but maybe my style is changing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you get the bed set! It is lovely. I am tired of my winter set, but it is still good, so I guess I will be stuck with it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne,
    I understand. Will you like it better after it has a break for summer?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can so understand what you are saying, Sometimes we just throw things out there and hope. Good luck with the quilt cover, it's nice Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's really pretty but you might have to redecorate your whole bedroom around it! That happened to me once.

    I'm such a fan of used linens. Good luck!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.