Monday 31 January 2022

The Zin House

Caitlin's partner, Brendan worked in regional centres for most of last year so Caitlin took a few weekend breaks in the country. One time she was headed to Mudgee and in the process of planning she discovered a restaurant that looked just delightful but she was reticent about spending so much on a meal. I thought a lovely meal would be a great experience to look back on and the cost was easily covered by the savings made by a long lock down.
She eventually decided to book the restaurant and came back so entralled that she was determined to take me there.
We headed off on Saturday after Caitlin finished work, stopped in the Blue Mountains for a pie and continued to our air bnb at Mudgee. There was just enough time to change and head off to The Zin House.

I forgot to take a photo of the charcuterie board until we'd eaten some. Oops. It was served with sourdough and olive oil.




Tomato and goats curd came next

 


Beetroot pasta with walnut crumb. Wonderful stuff.




The backlighting isn't great but I wanted to capture the feel of the place and I didn't want to get up and disturb everyone.




Being sent to walk in the garden between courses was new to me and Caitlin wouldn't be Caitlin if she didn't set out to cuddle the vineyard cat. 




Garden salad, local chicken, carrot tarte tartin, horseradish and carrot flowers.



Mint ice cream, lemon verbena syrup, chocolate "soil" and blood plums. I thought this was the stand out dish of the night but maybe thats because I'm a fiend for sweets.



The gardens were carefully planted to look great from inside and out



Having a laugh after cat cuddles. The sky was moody and threatening but the storm never came.



The mastermind.



I took this photo before other guests arrived. We were seated at one end of the large table and a loved up middle aged couple sat at the other end. I was taking care not to watch them so when she started to talk to us about the food I didn't realise what was happening and ignored her. Apparently she shot me dirty looks for the rest of the night :) 
In a rush to return to their accommodation, they refused the tea at the end of the meal but were still waiting (in the rain) for a taxi when we left :) 


 

Views from our air bnb, which was an older farm house. The farmer's flash new place was up the road a bit



12 comments:

  1. That looked like a fabulous place to visit. The meal sounded grand. All the pictures were good shots and did capture the place well. I don't know of a venue that encourages the patrons to have a walk between courses. Now, I want to go there, too.

    What is "chocolate soil?" It sounds like chocolate crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PP,
    If you were here, we'd go!
    Chocolate soil has a buttery, cookie style texture but it was in little pieces, maybe the size of rice bubbles. I'm not sure how it was done.
    It was a lovely thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds wonderful. Wandering around the garden - with a cat to cuddle between courses sounds like the icing on an already delicious cake to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EC,
    It would probably be even more up your alley than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely!
    Your meal looks fabulous and the fact that your daughter planned it makes it so much more special.
    Now I want to visit !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne,
    My children are all very generous to me, for which I am grateful. I think we would have a hilarious road trip to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A memorable outing to a fabulous place. The food looks yummy and I will take your word for its taste! Grand children to be blessed with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glorious countryside from your air bnb: the great sweep of the land.
    How often I have read about the Blue Mountains!
    I am glad to see you out walking, Kylie: you are getting stronger every day.
    The happy smiles of your beautiful daughters are a tonic.
    Jack H

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a memorable experience Kylie, I drooled over the food - a marvelous meal and walking between courses in that delightful garden is a great idea.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of exercise between courses - it would reactivate the appetite for more eating!
    And a cat always helps.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of a gap and a walk between courses and the sort of food looks perfection to me. I hope that your mobility is improving by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ramana,
    It was a delight!

    Jack,
    I love my country, the huge variety of landscapes all have their own appeal. This area is pretty because of the wineries, the gentle hills and (at the moment) the lush green. Every time I have seen the country for about the past 20 years we seemd to be in drought.

    WWW,
    I don't walk far but even just a breath of the evening air was a refreshing change.

    Ms Scarlet,
    You are so right! A wee walk and maybe a drink helps make room and prevents a food coma :)
    Odie cat was very friendly.

    Graham,
    The food was light and fresh, the service friendly. My walking is so much better after the surgery. Balance is quite a problem but the orthotist has a plan for that.....

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.