Saturday 10 September 2022

May Flights of Angels Sing Thee to Thy Rest

 



I think I am one of the last people to really "watch" the Royal Family. Somewhere between my generation and my children's, people have turned their attention to the Kardashians.

Pre-internet, we used to read magazines of course and there was usually a Royal woman on the cover. Charles and Diana's wedding was huge news when I was 13, that really got my attention and I have maintained an interest ever since.

Many good things have been said about Elizabeth, she was such a constant figure and for most of us, for our whole lives.

The quote I read which really resonated though was this one:

" A thousand photographers waited in earnest for a sign of annoyance, exasperation, arrogance, vanity, or aloofness. And yet in years and years and years, none came."

Her grace, kindness and humilty were supernatural.

I have read comments where people are saying that in the midst of a cost of living crisis, the millions spent on a funeral could be better used. I wonder how my UK friends feel about that?

10 comments:

  1. She gave incredible, and unstinting support to her country and indeed the world. I hope that she can rest peacefully, and cannot think of anyone more deserving (despite thinking it is more than time Australia became a republic).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have an opinion on us becoming a republic.
      I certainly can't begrudge her a good send off and the British people deserve a chance to say goodbye in a way that they find meaningful

      Delete
  2. I think the money for such things has been put by for many, many years - for both the funeral, and the coronation. It has already been accounted for. I am not a Royalist, but I think she deserves a good send off.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With her being so long lived, any other family might have had two or three funerals by now 😊

      Delete
  3. I suppose we could all give up lots to solve problems, but we don't. I imagine that Queen Elizabeth deserves a royal sendoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done a lot of thinking about how she should be remembered and I've concluded that she deserves all of it

      Delete
  4. I agree that the millions spent on the funeral and the new king's coronation could be put to better use, but there it is. "Tradition" and all that. I can still remember the Queen's coronation when I was at prep school in 1953. We were all given a special coronation mug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her funeral will generate enormous revenue with an upward kick to the economy and they have really stretched it out to maximize it. Being Irish, I have many, many reservations about the monarchy, but that said I do admire her fortitude and innate kindness and she did learn the Irish language to address the Irish Parliament. A huge leap in healing.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if they saved money on the funeral, how would those savings be filtered through to the people who need them?
      The corrupt systems that keep people poor won't be fixed by cancelling a funeral.
      Thanks for your perspective :)

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.