Friday 26 August 2022

Milly

 


This is Milly. She is almost 11, so a good age for a large breed dog. She has some arthritis and her cataracts are quite easy to see but she enjoys a short walk and a little play.

Her records indicate she was spayed at age 8 so I'm guessing she was raced then bred. She was adopted as a companion to an elderly man, who died not long after. His widow was moving to a retirement village and couldn't take Milly so I decided she might be the right dog for me and spent last weekend driving the 500km round trip to pick her up.

My first stop was to get a McDonalds cheeseburger for her and she then whined each time we passed a Mc Donalds. Clearly she can still see a little bit :)

What I wasn't told is that she's quite nervous and guards resources, which doesn't work well with our nervous little Lucy. It's been a nail biting week but they are slowly becoming friendlier.

Milly barely ate for her first few days here but is getting more confident. Lucy is locked in the laundry to prevent scuffles and is now good at waiting quietly until it's time to come out.

I promised to send photos to Milly's previous owner and one showed her in a muzzle. That didn't go down well and I have received a large number of nervous texts, pleading with me to give her a good life. She read my facebook post introducing Milly and messaged to say she didn't like the post. I'm starting to feel a bit stalked. Grief does strange things.

Unbelievable it might be, given all the dogs in my life but Milly is the first one who is mine, not a friends, the family's, a child's ......my girl.

16 comments:

  1. A huge welcome to Milly - who has come to somewhere where she will undoubtedly have a very good life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a lovely old girl and she'll be treated as such

      Delete
  2. I feel sorry for her previous owner, she's obviously grieving having to give Milly up. I hope you'll be patient with her. I'm sure when the dust settles, so to speak, that she'll realize Milly is in a good home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be patient as I would hope someone would be with me.
      But if it becomes intrusive I will draw a boundary. Milly was given to me and I was warned strongly that I couldn't bring her back

      Delete
  3. "Resource guarding" bothers me for you and Lucy. You may not be able to take her back, but you need to be sure you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She only guards around dogs, which makes it easier and we are taking all precautions. I think she will settle when she feels safe but it was a big piece of information to forget to tell me

      Delete
  4. As Jennifer said, hopefully her previous owner will settle down and realise Milly is in good hands and she doesn't need to keep fretting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said Milly is her last connection to her husband so it's understandable. Plenty of reassurance should help

      Delete
  5. Milly is so sweet and how wonderful you found each other Kylie. At her age and health, and knowing the facts, she would be unadoptable. I am positive she will do well with you and yes, you may have to put firm boundaries in place for the grieving prior owner.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect her previous owner will soon be taken up with the effort of moving. It all feels strange to me but I must remind myself it is a lot of loss for her

      Delete
  6. So much settling to be done!! I keep thinking about getting another rescue dog as the rescue centres are being swamped with animals due to the cost of living crisis [the opposite of what happened during lockdown] - but it's this settling-in period I worry about - do I really want to upset the apple cart? And will I survive the cost of living crisis?
    Anyhow, good luck! And I hope Milly and her previous owner settle soon.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, vet bills are a big worry. I have already decided that Milly is an old dog and if she starts to go downhill I won't pay huge amounts trying to put off the inevitable.
      It's disappointing to see the numbers of dogs in shelters now. I belong to a couple of UK sighthound groups and they are always talking about it. It's the same here.
      having said all that, I don't think you would regret getting a rescue (or maybe that's just me)

      Delete
    2. My current dog is a rescue - and he's a sensitive soul - I'm not sure how he'd be with another dog on his territory permanently. He'd probably be fine. I am seriously considering it. Though I'm bothered about all the extra walking I'd have to do as I'm not sure I could manage walking two dogs together.
      Sx

      Delete
    3. It is very tricky with the sensitive ones. I have to admit there have been moments I've felt bad for putting Lucy through this adjustment. It's all good now, day 10

      Delete
  7. Taking on an old dog like that with physical issues is a commendable act of kindness. I don't know what to make of the widow making judgements. It's a bit unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, I like to have my kids help with things like walks and vet visits and they won't be here forever so it makes sense to have an older dog. But thanks for thinking so well of me 😊
      I have found the widow unsettling but just as I started to think there might be a problem she's quietened down

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.