Friday 2 June 2023

Roadtrip

Last weekend I took myself on a road trip. I set off from home with my daughters and we stopped for coffee and baked goods at our favourite bakery. The girls got on the train at Mittagong and returned to  Sydney while I carried on.
I stopped at "The Big Merino" in Goulburn and had a wander around looking at all the lovely woollen items:



It was very tempting to buy a handknitted Fair Isle jumper or cardigan but there was a substantial amount of money involved (I'm not saying they were expensive, they were worth every bit) 

I arrived at my very nice, very accessible hotel around three and  filled in some time reading before heading to the local pub for dinner. Unfortunately I hadn't timed my arrival well enough to score a table by the open fire but I did have a nice meal.






The next day I had a delicious breakfast of waffles and coffee in the "Walter Cafe" overlooking Lake Burley Griffin, drove up to see Parliament House and decided to go to the Black Mountain Lookout. 

The view from the lookout was spectacular but I had to take in the view from the road and through the trees because there were steep steps leading down to the lookout. It makes for a more interesting photo, maybe.



I stopped to have a look at Lake George which doesn't always have water in it. It was grey and dull looking. I'm not sure if it was worth the detour but one day when the lake is a dried up claypan, I'll probably be glad I did. I find the view of the windmills hopeful, they won't solve climate change but they are a symbol of progress.


There was a "Makers Market" happening in Yass where I stopped to talk to a man who was carving spoons. We had an interesting conversation talking about the sentimental value that spoons seem to have and I asked if he might be able to repair this hand carved spoon my mum gave me. It broke one day when I was washing it and it has sat unused ever since. He said he could so I posted it off this week and I look forward to seeing it after he works on it. 




Despite living just a drive down the highway, I have never before met Elephant's Child. We have read each other's blogs for almost forever. This was my opportunity and we had a nice cuppa, I got to see parts of the garden and the bird feeder that I know so well through photos. The kittens were not keen to be sociable and EC was taller than I had imagined but otherwise just the same as her blogging voice would suggest. It was a good morning.

Unfortunately, my car seemed to use a huge amount of petrol on the trip and the mechanic isn't sure what's wrong. He suggested that at 18 years old, too much investigation might be like opening a can of worms and though  I was hoping to squeeze a couple more years out of it, I've decided that it's time to find another car so that's the next project.

14 comments:

  1. You packed a lot into your weekend. The Big Merino is humoungous isn't it?
    I love that your spoon can be repaired. My favourite wooden spoon is probably older than I am and was given to me when I first left home.
    It was lovely to catch up with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Tony Abbot said how ugly those windfarms were and that he hated driving past them. Speaking for myself I would rather drive past a windfarm than a coal mine.

      Delete
    2. I guess I did pack a fair bit in!
      I've never had a standard wooden spoon for more than a few years so yours is doing very well.
      Tony Abbot obviously had no idea what he was talking about

      Delete
    3. Late comment: I'm pretty sure it was Joe Hockey who complained about the windfarms. What a total leaner and arsehole he was and presumably still is. Not sure if he is back living in Australia yet. If not, the USA is welcome to him.

      Delete
  2. That Merino is huge! I love merino wool. The sweaters are beautiful. And, so is the view you photographed. I bought a wooden spoon and mistakenly allowed rambunctious ninth graders to handle it. They broke it! I took it back to the guy and he just sanded off the notch made. It was a slightly different shape and is about 30 years old, probably not old at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I posted these same photos on facebook, the sweaters were the thing that raised most comment. Apparently it's not just me who is partial to a beautiful garment :)

      Delete
  3. those sweaters are gorgeous! And lovely that you had a road trip and met our EC in the flesh so to speak.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always tempted by the Fair Isle sweaters, but I'm worried I'd shrink it if I got one. They are so pretty, and should last forever if cared for properly.
    I can see wind turbines from my window - I like them and find them calming.
    Please that you had a lovely road trip!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're too smart to shrink a sweater. I can imagine the turbines could be quite calming to watch, better than a power plant, as EC says

      Delete
  5. I was looking up all those places on google. That's quite a road trip. The Big Merino is amazing - I see the locals call it Rambo. For a moment I thought it was just a sculpture, and then realised you could go inside. I like the painting in the pub. I don't think I could handle that many waffles first thing in the morning! We don't have any wooden serving spoons, only plastic ones. Me too, I would rather drive past a windfarm than a coal mine - Tony Abbot is an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rambo has been there as long as I can remember.
      There weren't many waffles actually, just two little triangles and half a banana. It was enough but not generous

      Delete
  6. Rambo, eh? Only cuter, obviously. I'm thrilled that you got to take a trip, and that were able to meet Sue during your travels.I wonder HOW the spoon will be repaired. Epoxy, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have worded it " reshaped" or "remade"
      The bowl of the spoon was very thick so he's re-worked it. I'll put it in my next post

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.