Saturday 10 June 2023

Buyers Remorse

When I had my surgery a couple of years ago, there were of course, numerous visits to the hospital both before and after. The hospital where I had it done is out of "home territory" if we can call it that so I was always on the lookout for unfamiliar things. This tree, probably about 1km from the hospital became my little sign that I was almost there and the joy of a tree full of toys brightened my day every time. 
Being in a very narrow but well used street, it was never the right time for me to stop and get a photo but when I was over there this week, looking at a car, I actually parked right next to the tree. It was dusk so you can't see the full glory of it in it's day time saturation but maybe you can imaginitively brighten the colours.


My spooon arrived and Jim returned it in the padded bag I used to send it. I like his re-use philosophy and doesn't the spoon look fabulous? He did ask me if he could change the finish of it and i said yes. It's not the same piece mum gave me but I thought the smooth finish would be easier to clean and therefore I would use it more. It's finished in orange oil so it smells delicious as well as looking fabulous.



I bought the car I was looking at when I took the photo of the toy tree. A 2012 Hyundai i30 wagon. It had relatively low kilometres and was mostly quite tidy. There is some damage to the tailgate and it needs bushes replacing but the price was low enough to account for those things.

Though I logically think it was a good purchase, buyers remorse has hit hard and I am second guessing the need to get another car at all. I'm also second guessing why I got a slightly larger car than I have had for some years. If you google "buyers remorse" it speaks of regret around a purchase. I can't say I regret it. It's an odd reaction. 

Yesterday I took my old car to be washed and vacuumed. The wheels have been scrubbed and blacked, the interior has been puffed clean with compressed air and it's looking altogether lovely which makes it hard to let go of but the decision is made: it's listed for sale and hopefully someone will think it's just the car for them.

I've never bought a car before. I drove my mums car until I was married and then my husband always chose the cars. Even at 52, it feels like a rite of passage.

18 comments:

  1. I love that tree - and your spoon looks fabulous.
    I hope that your new car gives you many years and many miles of happy travelling. And yes, I so understand buyer's remorse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC,
      My son and my ex both suffer from severe buyers remorse but it's never been a problem for me so it's very unaccustomed!
      Thanks for the good wishes, hope to do many more road trips :)

      Delete
  2. I often think of decision making and how it's shared. In your case there was no sharing whatsoever so it was a new decision. I never bought groceries until I was 80!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shared decision making is good!
      My dad has often been given a short list of groceries to buy but I don't thinkhe has had full decision making power for them yet, at 82 :)

      Delete
    2. Wait, weren't you living alone in your early days of teaching?

      Delete
  3. kylie,
    There was always the nagging feeling that maybe this car might have problems I did not know about. But, the last car had more problems, so I tried to be positive. I don't think it is unusual to second guess car purchases. After I was divorced, no one ever gave me advice on a car. I only wish you and your car many and worry-free, happy miles.
    So, what is the story of the toy tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cars can be tricky and expensive and we rely on them so much, I think that adds pressure to the decision b ut despite the buyers remorse, I think it will be a good car.
      I have no idea what the story is, it's near the children's hospital so I thought maybe someone likes to inspire sick children.

      Delete
    2. I did a quick google search and found someone who thinks the tree is "creepy af" and they think a paedophile is trying to lure children.I've never found toys creepy (or old paintings, dolls, etc) but many people do.
      I just thought it was a happy looking thing. The mystery deepens *cue creepy music*

      Delete
  4. The spoon looks wonderful. I've never seen a toy tree before - it's most intriguing. I wonder how the toys first appeared? I've bought lots of cars. It's always a bit nerve-racking wondering if the car really is as good as it seems to be, but the only duff one was the first car I bought. It had a huge mileage on it and a clapped-out engine but I was too naive to realise it was a bad buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you probably had a very small budget. How long did you keep it, Nick?

      Delete
  5. I love the tree so much! and what a great job on your spoon. A treasure. And I've been buying my own cars for a long, long time. My only bad experience with a Honda and I never bought one again. I am Toyota all the way for so many reasons.
    Good luck with your new car and give her a name (I always do) to forge that bond with her!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of a Toyota but the hyundais have an excellent reputation and a lower price.
      What do you call your car?

      Delete
  6. The spoon looks too lovely to use! And the toy tree is intriguing - I'm also interested in how it came about.
    I have plenty of buyer's remorse over many of my purchases, though this probably makes me a favourite with charity shops! Thankfully I've never been responsible for buying a car! I hope your car proves to be reliable and trouble free.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, i have to say, I have thought of using the spoon a few times then thought "not yet" 😊

      Delete
  7. The tree is interesting. The spoon is WONDERFUL. I love wood. I enjoy wood. I admire people who can do things with wood. As for cars: my main criteria is that they must be roomy, comfy and capable but most of all reliable. I don't change cars very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham,
      Wood is a beautiful medium. I also love glass , fabrics and ceramic. Which leads to the question, Is there anything left ?
      My old car was small but it fulfilled all your other criteria. I'll be sad to let go of it.

      Delete
  8. Here I am back once again in Kylie's "backwater"! Congratulations on the purchase of your "new" car and its low mileage. You will be pleased to know that Clint is also a Hyundai. They are probably related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're funny!
      I did remember that Clint is a silver Hyundai. Do you think he's also related to my son's grey and my daughter's blue Hyundais?
      Can you suggest a name for mine?

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.