Wednesday 5 July 2023

ponderings

Twice in two days, I've reported people to facebook for selling animals. My first report was upheld and the post removed. There's something a little bit (or even a lot) toxic about the amount of glee I feel when I make a report like this.

A customer I pulled out all the stops for called to say I made her year.

Milly has been here ten months and has been the most quiet, polite, well behaved old darling. This week she rose from her bed to (uninvited) lick out a bowl which had contained chocolate custard. (It had been left on a foot stool when the eater finished eating) When she did that, I knew she was home.

Last week I binge watched "Couples Therapy" which follows a therapist in New York and shows her work with a variety of couples. It was fascinating and informative. At least part of it was shot during lockdown and it was shocking to be reminded of things which were so impressive at the time but have faded from memory (circles on the grass in the park seemed part of a long ago nightmare)

While using book selling site recently, looking for a gift, I stumbed across a book called the Flavour Thesaurus. I bought a copy because it seemed interesting. It's a beautiful yellow book with the page edges dyed a shade of gorgeous I would describe as magenta. I viewed the book as a reference work, focussed on what flavours work together, but as I flicked through looking for a new flavour combo I came across this irresistable commentary on blueberries:

Blueberries get on my wick. It's not entirely their fault. It's just that all this stuff about antioxidants and phytochemicals gives them an air of piety only increased by that little flared crown they have at the top that looks like the collar of a choir boys cassock. 


21 comments:

  1. So what goes with blueberries? I am quite sure they don't don their crown every morning...lol. I took lemon curd to go with cake to a party. Everyone there was putting it on blueberry pie. I thought it might be gross, but people liked the combination.
    Isn't chocolate toxic for dogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blueberries go with lemon (as you doscovered), peaches, vanilla, blue cheese, apple, coriander seed and mushrooms (of all things)
      Chocolate is toxic dogs but Milly is big and there's only the very smallest amount in a teaspoon of custard. It's all about the dose!

      Delete
    2. Not having been reading here for far too long, I thought Millie was an elderly resident at your work place! Makes much more sense now, lol

      Delete
  2. Don't you love it when you get the "message" a pet has accepted you are their family. Hooray for Milly adopting you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy she's comfortable and also a little bit sad that it's taken 10 months. We don't know how much it affects a dog to rehome them

      Delete
  3. Hooray for our four legged friends knowing they are home. Odie hissed and spat (through the glass) at an interloper cat this week. Defending HIS territory.
    That excerpt you gave us is fascinating. And now I am pondering myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Odie being home, too! It's been such a long haul for them both!

      Delete
  4. What's wrong with selling animals? Does Facebook not allow it, or do you think people should only have rescue animals (I would agree)? I find that lockdown and covid are already just a distant memory, now that normal everyday life has resumed. Not such a memory though for people who couldn't be with their relatives because of the restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook doesn't allow animal sales and I am completely against people breeding dogs or cats while we have so many in need of homes.
      I'm surprised at how quickly I've forgotten a lot of the early features of the pandemic, things like circles on grass and grocery shortages.

      Delete
  5. Would you believe that I have that book. Inscribed by a friend for my birthday a few years ago "A happy voyage of discovery......"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, your comment was lost in spam for a while but I've found it now. That's remarkable! What's the best thing it taught you?

      Delete
    2. Kylie, it taught me that there are a thousand things you can do to make mushrooms interesting. I'm very fond of the taste and texture of mushrooms so this was an eye-opener for me. Having said that I've used to for other things when I've been looking for herbs to go with things.

      Delete
  6. It's strange watching programmes filmed during lockdown - especially reruns of quiz shows - the contestants are seated far apart and have perspex between them. I enjoyed the global camaraderie - we need that back again!
    Nice when customers give lovely feedback!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised they even filmed quiz shows in lockdown! As you can see I'm not much of a quiz viewer :)
      Global cameraderie would be a wonderful thing to have back

      Delete
  7. I find selling animals for profit outrageous. Goodonya! Love that blueberry analogy. I had them on my property, they are so delicious, fresh. But righteous, not as frivolous as the strawberries!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never personified fruit before, it could be fun! Strawberries are definitely frivolous and mangoes are totally voluptuous. Apples are staid and figs are eccentric

      Delete
  8. I had some blueberries on my muesli this morning. Perked it up delightfully. Did you try licking "The Flavour Thesaurus"?... Bananas are sexy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would I lick the thesaurus? the flavours would get all mixed up :)
      I've never seen bananas as sexy but I guess that's just me.
      Blueberries and muesli sound very summery, we're in porridge season

      Delete
  9. I love the bit about blueberries. And blueberries themselves. But they don't love me. (IBS)

    Once I figured out who Milly is, it made my heart squeeze to know that she felt comfortable enough to claim the delicious treat on her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bit about blueberries was so clever, I enjoyed it for days. And I'm loving seeing Milly get bolder

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.