Sunday 8 October 2023

party like there's no tomorrow

 I was away last weekend, gallivanting about the country side and I'll post photos from that trip sometime soon.

It all started as a plan to go to to the Canowindra Baroquefest and then morphed to become a road trip with an old friend from my student days, meeting up with another student friend of ours for a concert and a long lunch. 

The long weekend away lead into a shortened work week and then this weekend which I expected to be very quiet turned out to be anything but. 

My girls went to my sister's place to bake with the cousins and then my sister wanted to know why I wasn't there so I went and we had a dinner of Thai take-away. It was almost like a family reunion because I see my sister so rarely.

My ex turned 60 this week and it's a big deal in Chinese culture so there was a party and I received a last minute invitation. He had been telling our daughters to invite me and they told him I wouldn't attend without being invited properly so eventually the invitation came with about 48 hours notice.

The invitation was the apology I will never hear and the admission that I wasn't as bad as he thought, maybe even a recognition that I always had his back. And my attendance at the party was my silent acknowledgement that I understood.

It's too little and too late but it feels significant.


16 comments:

  1. Oh that was good of you. I was very accommodating to my X for years and then in the past year I have totally ghosted him as some rotten memories surfaced through my daughter. 'Nuff said. I'm glad you had that time with Sister.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so much fun with my sister but she's a difficult woman to catch!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad for both of you that significant step could be made. Canowindra can be really pretty at the right time of year - I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of roadside fruit trees in bloom and the last bits of canola were out. It's nice and green, too. Very pretty.

      Delete
  3. Nothing like a tour without plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked out well and my friend said she'd travel with me again. I take that to be high praise :)

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a fun two weeks. Mine would never apologize because he has never been wrong. And, it he did, it would be to help himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People in general can be very difficult!

      Delete
  5. It was lovely that you were kind enough to accept the invitation and go. It is almost always better to take the high road.
    I am looking forward to your pictures of your travels even if the travel plans changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I guess it was a "high road " decision but I think of it more as a decision made from a place of healing. For which I am grateful.

      Delete
  6. I guess the party invitation was a step forward. As you say, too little and too late but significant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess that you could write a book about your ex and how it ended. It's great that you possess the generosity of spirit to move on without bitterness and accepting the invitation was the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I really could write a book about the nonsense I lived through but he's paying a high price now and my bitterness wouldn't help

      Delete
  8. I think turning 60 is a big deal, whatever!! Anyhow, I'm glad you have a peaceful existence with your ex.
    I look forward to your photos.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 60 is a big deal, youre right. Traditionally, 60 is the first birthday the Chinese celebrate though its probably less like that these days. He was 25 when we met, i can barely believe it.

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.