Friday 20 October 2023

Cowra/ Canowindra Long Weekend


Well, here are the long awaited photos from my weekend away.

The Lachlan River runs through Cowra and the bridge over the river has these huge pylons which were graffiti central until somebody decided to put art on them. It's made a feature of what must have been an eyesore.





During WW2 there was a Prisoner of War camp at Cowra, specifically chosen because it's a long way from nowhere. The night the prisoners arranged to break out has gone down in Cowra's history. Australian soldiers who were killed in the breakout or who were Cowra locals and died as a result of the war are buried at the War Cemetery.



The Japanese Garden 

"The 231 Japanese soldiers who died in the escape were buried nearby and local members of the Returned Service’s League tended their graves. As mutual respect grew over the years between Japan and the citizens of Cowra, the idea of a garden arose which would be a symbolic representation of the landscape of Japan."


Back to the bridge! I thought I edited this particular photo to show less mud but apparently not.


More Japanese Garden


The Japanese Garden and whats left of the POW camp have been made into parkland and together called the "Peace Precinct" 
I guess it has snakes but I didn't see any.



'Scuse fingers, haha! The grapevine on the motel really made it feel welcoming and lush.



We went to a concert at a lovely plant nursey in the neighbouring town of Canowindra. The nursery seemed to have very few plants and a lot of covetable homewares. The grand piano was set up in the cafe/ shop area. Locals tell me Nerida is the local piano teacher and also owns the nursery. It has the makings of a lovely cultural hub.


Poppies at the visitors information centre. They were on their way out so I was glad the timing allowed me to see them. The spring weather also meant that there were lots of naturalised fruit trees flowering on the road edges.




Time has mostly stood still in the Canowindra main street, which makes it pretty and a sought after movie location. I was too busy talking to take more photos, though!



Water tank art in the Peace Precinct




Back to the War Cemetery



I took this photo for Keaghan who is a 4WD enthusiast.



Another Canowindra cafe and gift shop, called Finn's. What a delightful place to linger over lunch. It was the old General Store and close inspection revealed the original bins for bulk goods and spices. I'm sure there were other treasures to appreciate if I'd looked harder. This place hosts the monthly men's lunch, which is a great initiative allowing rural men to get together and support each other. 


I think I took a photo like this one on my last visit to the Japanese Gardens, 29 years ago. I wonder how it would compare?






Thanks for road tripping with me!
 

21 comments:

  1. How I love the Japanese Gardens. It has been a couple of years since we have been - and we need to go back. It is longer since I have seen Canowindra which is looking green and lovely at the moment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must go, it's all so pretty right now.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the interesting pictures and the history. I always enjoy your posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love Japanese gardens! I also like the look of the cafe/gift shop.
    We have Shed Clubs in the UK for men to get together and talk, and make things - they sound like a good idea.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are lots of "men's sheds" here but i think this place does a food and drink get together

      Delete
  4. That looks like a lovely place to spend a weekend.
    I love the sign on the piano but am wondering is it inviting or cautionary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question. On balance, I'd say it's cautionary, would you?

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous garden Kylie and thanks for sharing it with us. Love all the murals and that old general stores.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea, replacing graffiti with colourful murals. There's a bit of that in Belfast. The water tank art is wonderful too. Sad that so many soldiers died in the break-out attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were only four soldiers killed in the actual breakout, the rest of the graves would belong to people who died some other way. There were 231 Japanese POW deaths, though

      Delete
  7. Thanks for taking us along with you on this visit. I visited Hobart recently and saw the Japanese gardens there. So beautiful. I just Googled where this town is so I could plan for my next visit. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Romance Reader, your comment got lost in spam so a belated welcome!

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed this inland trip Kylie. Thanks for taking me to Cowra and Canowindra - places I shall never visit in person. Great photos to illustrate the blogpost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this post but could not comment before. Thanks for the little trip and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last comment was Practical Parsimony.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Japanese garden looks great. I suspect Corowa is like many country towns in that it has been preserved by, not necessarily neglect, but a lack of profit to be made by redeveloping. Aside from its war history, I knew little of the place and I couldn't point to it on map, so thanks for a little more knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Andrew. I did read that Canowindra was preserved exactly that way. i went into a gallery there which had once been the bank. It still had the original HUGE wooden desk in the front.

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.