Sunday 11 February 2024

In praise of noodle dogs




Someone recently said to me that they didn't know I had a greyhound and it got me to recalling the first grey I ever met.
It was 1992. I was going to night school, studying Biological Techniques at technical college and I was unemployed at the time. When I went to start classes in the new year, one of my teachers offered me a six month position preparing resources for practical classes. As a student my activities were limited to the lower 3 or 4 floors of the building but when I was working there I sometimes had reason to go up to the roof.
As an aside, I went to the roof to get cane toads for classes. The toads were in a large glass tank and i would have to put my hand in the tank and grab the requisite number of toads while the others jumped everywhere. I still can't believe I did it.

The top level was used by the vet nursing course. The woman who worked there had long plaits and wore overalls and I don't remember her name.  She had three rescue greyhounds who lived in the building. I'm not sure if they ever went home with her or anything like that but they roamed freely around the area. In those days there were no schemes for rehoming retired racers and most were shot or killed in other brutal ways when their racing career finished. Nobody ever saw a greyhound except on the track. Anyway, one of these dogs on the 8th floor of a city building was a fawn brindle girl who followed the woman everywhere. I was enchanted with her gentle nature and never forgot how special she was.

When greyhounds became more widely available, I hoped I might have one but it took time before it was possible. We had a labrador mix at the time and after he died we fostered a "spoodle" for a good long time while his owner was locked up.

Eventually, we were a household in need of a dog and Liam went and got Harry. Harry was a huge 39kg sweetheart who went straight from racing kennels to the RSPCA kennels and then to us. He hadn't been a pet before and we hadn't cared for a dog like him. It was stressful at the start but we trained him and he trained us and though he was always officially Liam's dog he was deeply loved by us all until his death in 2022. 

A few months after Harry died, Milly (racing name Midnight Minueva) was in need of a home and at almost 11 years old, it wasn't going to be easy for her to find one so I went and picked her up. My first greyhound. She's a sweet old thing, gentle and quiet and just a little bit quirky. She is arthritic and she has a tremor when she stands up for more than a couple of minutes so she doesn't follow me around like the one I fell in love with so long ago but she is just as lovely. 

I think every dog breed has it's own following but greyhounds inspire a cult like devotion and they are so very deserving of it.

22 comments:

  1. We have a crafter (Kate) living in Queensland who has a greyhound. She entertains us with stories and observations that are humorous as well as informative. Look on the side margin for those names

    https://talltalesfromchiconia.wordpress.com/

    Her first one (Mouse) had his own blog which is now written by her second (Higgins)

    https://happygreyssocialclub.wordpress.com/

    There’s a definite need for special people to take on the care of these special dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the trouble to give me links!

      Delete
  2. Kylie,
    You write VERY well! I enjoyed hearing about your experiences in the building where you worked and your experiences with the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. i went looking for a photo of the building but there are none online and in 5 years I never took one

      Delete
  3. I haven't had any experience with greyhounds but I understand they do make good pets, although have an inclination to be lazy. I don't have a favourite breed but there are a few I really don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grey hounds are not very common. However , you lay out a good case for them as lovable dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have become very popular here since there were laws introduced to protect them and the industry has put a lot of effort into creating good publicity. They are lovable and super low maintenance

      Delete
  5. It is lovely that you offered to re-home your Milly. The greyhound deserve a loving forever home. I am getting close to fostering a dog, but am not ready to commit to owning one (or one owning me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fostering is great! Its fully supported and can be short term if needed. And of course it's more dogs to meet.
      There's a group here called Paws and Recover. They organise fosters emergency situations and I think I'd like to foster for them. Milly is not overly keen on dogs in her space so I'll let her live out her days in peace first

      Delete
  6. We've never had a dog or cat, but I love watching all the dogs that are being walked round our neighbourhood. They're all so curious and friendly, sniffing at everything in sight and trotting along with their odd way of walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The unending joy of dogs is just so delightful

      Delete
  7. I am not really a dog lover but there are one or two breeds that I quite like and they include greyhounds. They seem so gentle as they lollop along. I also like Jack Russells - intelligent but mischievous too - just like me. Mind you, I do not make a habit of sniffing lampposts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you sniff bums, maybe? Actually, you probably do.
      I approve of greys and Jack Russels

      Delete
  8. Ah, a friend in Ireland hauls all her greyhounds around in protests against the despicable "sport" of racing. So glad you did this Kylie. I got to know a greyhound well in Toronto when one of my clients had one in his office and he and Ansa became fast friends.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a lot of Irish hounds being advertised for adoption. I'm glad someone is doing something for them.
      Greyhound racing was actually banned in my state but the ban was overturned before the tracks even closed.

      Delete
  9. We've never had a greyhound but they appear to be lovely animals. Our last two have been a male Havanese and afemale Chihuahua/Terrier mix. We had poodles for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know poodles at all or Havanese. I'm thinking a little chi/ terrier would be spicy :)
      I never met a dog I didn't like

      Delete
  10. That anonymous was me, rhymeswithplague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, do you still have Abby?

      Delete
    2. We do still have Abby. She will be eight in June. A very sweet dog who can be feisty and stubborn at times, but can't we all?

      Delete
  11. kylie,
    I am back at Practical Parsimony. I could not get in the blog I was using. Then, I could get back into the old, original blog. It is confusing, I know...lol. It confuses me, too. I loved the card. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youre welcome! I'll be over to have a read

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.