Saturday 25 May 2024

National Art Glass Museum


More from my little camping jaunt:

I arrived at the Wagga Wagga Art Gallery and Art Glass Museum at about 2.30pm. The two galleries are in adjacent buildings. They might be connected by a walkway but I entered by a side door and I'm not sure how everything was laid out if one was to see it properly.

This glorious green glass is a representation of a woven grass, indigenous eel trap. I can't remember where I've seen an eel trap but I can say the glass captures the look of a trap perfectly.







I honestly can't remember anything about how this is meant to be a display of glass art because it is crocheted cord. I guess the glass flasks are the glass component. I didn't take any photos of the interpretive information because I thought I would remember. I do not. Something about hand crafts and women. Well, crochet is a lovely art form mostly created by women.



Blogger organised the sequence of photos. It's not real smart cos we are back to the eel trap




More glass/ cord arty stuff



I do remember this one is hand knotted in homage to fishig nets and their makers. You can't see but there are many teeny tiny glass beads knotted in.


This spectacular work was rescued from a house demolition. It was created by the father of glass art. I forget his name. You can see I go to look at things, not to study much more.





How on earth anyone creates this from glass is anybody's guess. I imagine it was very time consuming.



I had to photgraph this because it's sciencey and prehistoric (not actually prehistoric but evocative)



The fishing net from another angle. It had a lot of knots. They were counted. It was a very big number. Hurray to the artist for having a lot more persistence than I do.


 

14 comments:

  1. I adore glass art. I have also learnt (the hard way) that I have to take photos of explanations of things in exhibitions. Despite the best of intentions I simply don't remember well enough. Which is frustrating but has the plus that I can relearn things to excite me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you frame that! Relearning exciting things is great

      Delete
  2. It seems it was worth your while to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm.... that eel trap is very phallic!!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some fascinating art works there. Shocking to think that amazing bit of stained glass was actually scheduled for demolition! And yes, the pot created from glass is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australians demolish everything, Nick. I was about to say it borders on criminal but "unexplained" fires in heritage listed buildings is an actual phenomenon here so the demolitions sometimes follow on from actual arson.

      Delete
  5. Love all the glass and particularly that pot and the fishing nets. Art created from fishing gear is a love of mine. I can't remember a thing so usually take a shot of some kind of description.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am realising that I like art which relates to the worker and of course fishing is a very old profession. There is a lot of beauty in the hand crafted nature of everyday items like fishing nets

      Delete
  6. It sounds like an interesting place to visit. Glass is a difficult medium for artists to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I'm sure it's hard to do anything precisely with molten glass being a bit unpredictable. and HOT.
      I love a good piece of glass: vases, leadlight windows, Tiffany lamps, a good bowl or goblet......

      Delete
  7. Sorry to be so late here, but I have been sick, and this slipped past me. I love all the glass art, the fishing net. I have a cousin who is an engineer. He specializes in glass, like stairs and hand railings. It seems like a hard medium for anyone, engineer or artist. I wonder about the glass pot. How did they do that? I would love to tour this exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the artist or engineer working with glass but I'm so glad they do.
      There was a relatively small number of items exhibited but the gallery owns many thousands of glass art pieces. We could make a whole day of seeing them!

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.