Sunday 20 October 2024

Awkward

 It must have been about ten years ago now that a fairly brusque woman bowled up to me after church, wanting to know the whereabouts of the ten tea towels she had bought for the church kitchen.

I knew I had taken two or three home to wash and as I tend to do, had forgotten to bring them back. I admitted to this failure and didn't think any more about it but a bystander waited for the woman to leave and said "wow, that was awkward"

It was the first time I remember anyone using "awkward" for a situation that was mildly uncomfortable but now it seems to be the word of choice for any incident or conversation that falters, is overly intense or one party is socially inept in any way.

Thinking about all of this raises some questions:

Have we become less tolerant of a bumpy conversation?

If so, is it all of us or just younger people? (maybe under 35?)

Or were we always having awkward conversations but using other words to name them?

Or did I spend most of my life being the awkward one so people said it behind my back?

Once upon a time I probably would only have used the word awkward for something personal and possibly embarassing: spinach in teeth, something sexual, body odour, those kinds of things.

How do you use the word awkward and has it changed over time?

5 comments:

  1. I think that is the word of the day, and is not something I use in that context. I am physically awkward which I freely admit to. Probably also socially awkward but I think I would use other words to describe that - none of which come to mind at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it's nice to know that you thinkit's the word of the day. I wondered if I had missed something

      Delete
    2. also, you're not at all socially awkward

      Delete
  2. I broke my ankle and have been wearing a VERY heavy moon boot from the toes to the knee. When people see me hobbling, everyone says "how awkward you look".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I'm pretty familiar with heavy moon boots and all I can say is of course they look awkward, they are designed to stop normal movement. I hope it does it's job and you heal well

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.