It is a feel good comedy/ drama set in 1974 New Zealand and I must say I enjoyed it just as much as I expected to.
There were a few short segments created with stop motion, which was interesting and not at all out of place.
I enjoyed seeing the old HR Holden. ( I had a white HR sedan as a wedding car.)
I enjoyed the story and the scenery and the actors.
The film was loght and enjoyable but had things to say about love, miracles, community and dying.
.jpg)
My Brilliant Career : I read the Virago edition with Judy Davis on the cover before I saw the 1979 film.
ReplyDeleteA Passage To India, High Tide, Children of the Revolution, The Eye of the Storm (Patrick White) and
David Hare's Page Eight (a wonderfully chilly role) and of course, Life With Judy Garland.
New Zealand's been on my mind with the death of Sam Neill (78) and the death in 2025 of my
(then) favourite living novelist Maurice Gee, who chose voluntary euthanasia and passed away in his
garden without his family around him.
I had dinner with Maurice and his wife Margareta in London in 1998.
As we sat down I said, *You live in Wellington, great harbour, poor soil ?*
He looked surprised, *Is that right ?* I laughed and told him it was a line from his novel Crime Story.
*Oh, I forget what I've written, after I've written it,* he said with his trademark friendly smile.
Sam Neil was great and apparently fell in love with Judy Davis at one point.
DeleteJudy still lives a quiet life in Sydney.
Maurice Gee sounds very down to earth
I am going to search this film. It sounds like something I would enjoy seeing.
ReplyDeleteIn my attempt to give no spoilers, I didn't mention the story at all! Oops. The trailer will give you a feel of it
DeleteMy neighbour saw the film and did not like it at all, so different strokes for different folks.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think it's probably a bit too chocolate box for some people
DeleteIt sounds like something I wouldn't mind seeing, but I'll wait for the TV version.
ReplyDeleteFree on tv
DeleteI'd like to see this film, too! I'm glad you finally gained access to the cinema!
ReplyDeleteSx
Me too! I phoned to check
DeleteI wondered what the link between New Zealand and Canada was, but then the writer was Nat Boltt. Well done!
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of her before. She did well
DeleteMust look out for that one. I haven't seen any reviews of it up till now.
ReplyDeleteIt's a bit niche, Nick.
Delete