This week I returned to part-time hours at work after a six month stint of full time filling in for a maternity leave position.
Fifteen hours/ week is not sustainable and on top of that my ego is bruised because I had been putting in a huge effort, doing a decent job and hoping that if the lady who was on leave resigned (which she did) I might become full time on a permanent basis. When I was there 2 days/ week I found it hard to learn the job and harder to feel part of the team but once I was there 5 days, I was able to improve all of that.
Anyhow, at the same time my favourite cinema noticed that I hadn't been in a while and offered me a half price ticket.
I didn't have to be at work in the morning and the ticket was so cheap, I made a booking for Monday evening.
When I got there, the lift from the car park was not working and there was a sign to call the box office for assistance. I couldn't imagine that they would be able to fix the lift but I called anyway and the phone went unanswered.
From the underground carpark to the cinema foyer (which is above street level) there must be about 25 or 30 stairs and the majority of those with no hand rail.
I decided not to attempt the stairs and reluctantly headed for home.
I emailed customer service with a request for a refund and received a reply saying that the carpark is not operated by the cinema and therefore it was not their problem but they were giving me an opportunity to buy two more half price tickets. (The carpark is leased to a car park company but the lift belongs to the cinema building)
The wording was sneaky, though and for a few minutes I thought I was being given two tickets.
The dodging of responsibility was not the response I hoped for but I replied and thanked them for the tickets.
It was only after I hit send that I realised that not only did I not receive a refund but they were asking me to buy two more tickets.
So how come they have failed on multiple levels but I am the one who feels dumb?
Disappointment often makes us blind to the words we most need to see in negotiations like this.
ReplyDeleteDisappointment . Yes.
DeleteAs River put it, and I've done the same as you. First think about the urgency, and there wasn't, and read a second time at least.
ReplyDeleteYes. I will be smarter next time
DeleteThis is horrible. I feel like giving them a slap on your behalf.
ReplyDeleteSx
Yea. I'm not sure if have the guts to try again
DeleteWell we have all done it, fallen for something that we later want to give ourselves a forehead slap. That’s pretty sneaky though, so please don’t beat yourself up about it too much.
ReplyDeleteMegan
The whole thing disappoints me.
DeleteThe car park is leased to a car park company but the lift belongs to the cinema ?
ReplyDeleteNegotiating the world is a tricky business, reflected in the stories of David Foster Wallace.
Twenty steps without a handrail ? The cinema should be forced to install one for Health & Safety.
My legs are OK, but I've a tendency to dream as I walk down several flights of steps from my apartment.
My elder sister suggested counting the steps as I go down. It works. Steps are treacherous. Up or down.
Fifteen hours isn't sustainable as you said, Kylie. Is there any hope of two days more ?
Workers are like performers in our globalised market. We call it the Gig Economy.
Hi Jack,
DeleteLots of places here don't manage their own parking areas. The same huge company manages them all. It's a clever business model , convincing people they need a whole contractor to manage a concrete basement.
Left to my manager there is no hope of extra days but I'm sure the universe will shuffle some opportunity my way.
I'm glad you count stairs. It's easy to miss one
This happens all the time now, this passing the buck from one organisation to another and each one denying any responsibility. Most of the stairs without a handrail, that must be illegal by now.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure the building code would require a handrail now but it didnt always and there is no requirement to retro fit
DeleteThat kind of buck passing really makes me cross as does lack of adequate safety for stair users. Could you email them again saying you realise what they did to avoid responsibility, or like me will you vote with your feet and find another cinema? I’m sorry your workplace has once again passed over a perfectly satisfactory incumbent. Are you looking elsewhere for a more sustainable job? You have a lot of varied experience to offer and it would be nice to have your value better recognised it seems to me. Cheers, Helen
ReplyDeleteHi Helen,
DeleteI do really like the cinema. It's arthouse, has a lift, has a lovely Cafe. I will need to either get over their poor attitude or try another email or call.
Thank you 😊
I think this was a very smooth scam
ReplyDeleteYes, Red. I suspect they are well practised at it
DeleteI agree with Red
ReplyDeleteI bought a consolation soft serve on the way home and it was icey!
Delete